Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN
Based on your review of the criteria used to judge the environmental performance of cities in Asia and the EU, each student should work with their group members to develop a list of criteria for judging the green urban environments proposed in this GRUEN project.
The Green Leaf Award has 6 criteria, the Asian Green City Index has 8, and the European Green Capital has 12.
- Join your group discussion area.
If you don't see your Group # below, click the "Add a new discussion topic" button to set up your group discussion area. Put your Group # as the Subject, and a short message to your groupmates in the body of the message, such as "Let's develop our criteria here!".
Or, if your group discussion area has already been set up, then click on it and post a Reply in that discussion to join the conversation.
- Propose 2 or 3 of the criteria YOU think should be used to judge a green city. Which ones do you appreciate for helping a city feel "green"? What are the issues in cities that make urban development unsustainable?
- Justify your choices: follow each item on your list of criteria with a sentence or two about why you think this item should be a criteria for judging a GRUEN.
- Feedback to others: after you have posted, look around at the lists of your teammates. Ask them a question, or make a comment. If someone posts a question to you, respond to it.
- Develop a group consensus. Based on the discussion, try to develop a list you can all agree on. How many criteria should be on the final list?
To complete this activity, each student must post at least 3 times.