News forum

GRUEN - the social construction of knowledge

Picture of Brant Knützen
GRUEN - the social construction of knowledge
by Brant Knützen - Wednesday, 30 October 2019, 11:58 AM

Hello GRUEN participants!

I'm happy to see that a bunch more students have proposed THEIR criteria on the forum!

Keep in mind that when the completion requirement is to post 3 times, I want each student to propose their criteria list with some justifications, then post a question or comment to someone else, and finally respond to any comments to you.  Agree, disagree, propose alternatives: interact!

The pedagogical theory is the "social construction of knowledge", and it happens when people exchange perspectives and ideas.

For example, there's a nice exchange between a group of Dutch and Indian students, talking about the way that over-use of air conditioning wastes so much energy.  For example, Dubai is a hot country where the temperature commonly reaches 50C, so everyone runs their AC 24/7!  An interesting alternative is being explored using evaporative cooling techniques.

One concept that those students discussed was the "urban heat island effect", and Janish supplied a good quick definition.

Urban Heat Island

Two suggestions to support the social construction of knowledge

1) embed links to your sources.  This not only backs up your opinion, but it also supplies other students a quick way to increase their knowledge about a topic.  Do a search, find a well-respected but not overly technical source, and use the "Link button" to embed the link into a key phrase.  Tick the "open in new window" so that your readers don't lose the forum discussion page.

2) insert or append a diagram or photo which illustrates your idea.  "A picture is worth a thousand words", and is remembered longer, and has more emotional impact than just writing text.  

Last, 15 students have answered the survey about "Do you have a gaming computer?", and I'm happy to see that most do!   If you haven't answered this survey yet, please do so today.

Brant

GRUEN workshop moderator and technical consultant