News forum

GRUEN progress and computer check

Picture of Brant Knützen
GRUEN progress and computer check
by Brant Knützen - Tuesday, 29 October 2019, 2:51 PM

Hello GRUEN participants!

The next unit is open: How Green is YOUR city?

The discussion forum instructions ask you to pair up with another student in your city, and do some research into the environmental performance of your city.  Based on the criteria YOU think are important, tell us how your city is doing?

Also, I will soon introduce the free SimCity Buildit app, which is a city-building simulation.  I will also demonstrate how you can use this app to illustrate your ideas about creating a green urban environment.  This app can run on just about any mobile device: smart phone or tablet.

There is another, more advanced urban design simulation tool which we hope to provide to each team: SimCity Skylines, with the Green Cities expansion pack.  This tool requires a powerful gaming computer, with a 64-bit OS (Windows v. 7-10) and a discrete GPU (Nvidia or Radeon).  The full requirements are listed here.

I ask all project participants to answer a quick Yes/No survey: do you have access to this type of PC?

Note: it could be at home, or in a school computer lab, or even a video game cafe.

Best wishes,

Brant

GRUEN workshop moderator & technical facilitator