1. What were your expectations?
  2. In what ways were they met?
  3. In what ways were they NOT met?
  4. Suggestions for improvement

MANJU MURALEEDHARAN
Re: LDC
by Manju Muraleedharan - Tuesday, 5 February 2019, 6:05 PM

1. What were your expectations?

A. All teams would get the opportunity to present their work and get feedback. 

B. The ideas suggested by the teams would be represented in the UN meetings and assembly. 

C. We would get the opportunity to talk about our ideas and projects to international policy makers and leaders. 

2. In what ways were they met?

A. The expectations are met to some extent but definitely not up to the satisfactory level. May be as a team we expected more than what UNEP could afford. 

B. Personally it benefited me a lot in terms of networking. I spoke about our project to Mr. Masagos Zulkifli, the Minister of Environment and Water Resources, Singapore, Dr. Hussain Rasheed Hassan, the Minister of Environment and Water Resources Maldives, senior UNEP officials, leaders and champions from other countries. Mr. Vipul Shah, the COO of Reliance Industries Limited asked me to email him regarding the project we are doing. These are great opportunities to take our project to the next level. 

C. Being a panelist was altogether a different and new experience for me. So I would say the UNEP conference gave me the opportunity to represent KAS, LDC, and our community in the side event. But in the context of policy making and UN representation, I am not sure of the outcome of the Bio panel discussion. 

3. In what ways were they NOT met?

A. UNEP should actively engage youth and local champions of SDGS and organisations like KAS to be a part of policy making. (May be I am not fully aware of the role of KAS and UN Policy making). 

B. All the five projects from KAS incorporate valuable suggestions and solutions for a sustainable future. It has to be discussed, enhanced and explored by the world leaders who take decisions for us in matters related to us (people and planet).  

4. Suggestions for improvement.

A.  A powerful and influential organisation like KAS should be represented more effectively in the UNEP conference. 

B. KAS should be given one exclusive slot or side event for their contributions and ability to function at the grassroot level. 

C. KAS bridges the gap between common people especially youngsters and the decision makers. This effort has to be taken to the next level by making fruitful changes and developments in the process of building a sustainable future. Incorporating and implementing the feasible ideas gathered from the local community and champions will definitely help UNEP gather momentum in reaching it’s vision. Organisations like KAS act as catalysts in this process. So I realised that we have to find an efficient way to represent ourselves in UNEP conferences. 

Picture of Brant Knützen
Re: LDC feedback
by Brant Knützen - Wednesday, 6 February 2019, 4:50 PM

Thanks, Manju, for the excellent feedback, which I will include in our report to KAS!

Brant