Tracking progress on video development and production - SHORT VIDEO for social media

YFEED

Picture of Brant Knützen
YFEED
by Brant Knützen - Tuesday, 23 October 2018, 10:44 AM

This area is for posting draft videos by YFEED.

Picture of Soney Rai
Re: YFEED
by Soney Rai - Saturday, 3 November 2018, 3:39 AM

Hi everyone,

Here's the link of our draft 90 sec Bio-char video.

Regards,

Soney 

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Saturday, 3 November 2018, 8:46 AM

Hi Soney,

Thanks for posting your latest draft.

Looks great, and I like the optimistic soundtrack.

I find the speed of the captions a bit too quick, and I'm a fast-reading native English speaker.

Also, I suggest one small change in grammar:

You have: "agriculture is the worst sector hit..."

It should be: "agriculture is the sector worst hit..."

Overall a very well-produced story!

Brant

Picture of Soney Rai
by Soney Rai - Tuesday, 6 November 2018, 8:10 PM

Hi Brant and DJ,

Here's the link of our 90 second video without ambience and colour correction.

Regards,

Soney

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Tuesday, 6 November 2018, 8:49 PM

Great Soney, thanks for posting the "clean" version of the short video for YFEED!

Brant

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Thursday, 8 November 2018, 2:37 PM

Hi Soney,

Please upload the "clean" version of your short video WITH the ambient sound to this directory:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lHlhWUcK79BNjliv-wjT1d2NlsVBiRai?usp=sharing

Also, please post here to let everyone know that you have uploaded it for review and download by DJ.

Brant

Picture of Soney Rai
by Soney Rai - Tuesday, 13 November 2018, 12:08 AM

Hello Brant, DJ and Peter,

Here we have the final clean version 90 second video without ambient.

We also have the same video with color correction but without ambient.

Regards,

Soney

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Tuesday, 13 November 2018, 10:08 AM

Hi Soney,

The color-corrected video looks good, but DJ wants the "clean" version to INCLUDE the ambient sound!

Another key issue is that you are sharing the video by posting a link to the video on YouTube, but we can't include the YFEED video in the KAS compilation unless you upload the file to the Google Drive, at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lHlhWUcK79BNjliv-wjT1d2NlsVBiRai?usp=sharing

For the edit of the compilation, we need three files uploaded to the Google Drive folder:

1) The "clean" video file with just ambient sound 
2) The final short video file with text slides, ambient sound, and narration.
3) The script used in the final version (MS Word doc)

Please upload all three files to the Drive folder, then it’s easy to quickly edit them with the same style.

Thanks,
Brant

Picture of Soney Rai
by Soney Rai - Tuesday, 13 November 2018, 9:00 PM

Hello Brant,

Thank you for the information, I've uploaded the files.

Regards,

Soney

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Thursday, 15 November 2018, 12:50 PM

Looks good, thanks Soney!

Brant

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Monday, 19 November 2018, 10:21 AM

Hi Soney,

In the group review of short videos in the web conference on Saturday I noticed that the YFEED short video doesn't have any music as a soundtrack.

Krishna said he'd talk to you about it, but I wanted to follow up here as well to be sure.

Do you intend for the short video for social media to have a music soundtrack?

Brant

Picture of Brant Knützen
Feedback from KAS meeting
by Brant Knützen - Thursday, 22 November 2018, 7:08 PM

Feedback from KAS meeting:

• Simplify or remove diagrams
  • Could use one long still image (attached) rather than animations (too fast)
  • Drop the general issue of climate change and focus on the agricultural issues
  • Focus on agricultural sustainability  and agricultural productivity rather than overall climate change
  • Skip glacier video, show drone shot of terraced farming, then go into man making biochar, then explain process
  • Clarify the before and after effect of biochar on crops
  • Close up of farmer inspecting plant affected by biochar (shot of better plant roots?)
  • Highlight how plants are more resilient to climate change e.g erosion and landslides
  • Explain that farmers are able to easily afford this natural fertilizer rather than expensive nitrogen-based synthetic ones
  • Current ending is too abrupt

Brant

Picture of Anish Shrestha
Re: Feedback from KAS meeting
by Anish Shrestha - Thursday, 29 November 2018, 5:28 PM

Dear Respected Brant,

Warm Greetings of Peace and Solidarity

Thank you very much for your kind suggestion and inputs to our video. We acknowledge the feedbacks provided from KAS-RECAP SDG Asia project meeting and have noted it. Our project technical team is working on your instructions and will complete it accordance of our video project mandate. 

In this regards, We kindly request you to guide us for the best ending scene. What can we show in our video ending part and what message should we close our video with there. We are in quiet confusion and delima and we look ahead for your expert vision and ideas on making our ending as well overall video deliver to our project objectives.

Cheers! 

Your's Faithfully,

Anish. 

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Thursday, 29 November 2018, 8:47 PM

Hi Anish,

Well, take a look at the latest effort from LDC: https://participativelearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=250#p1481

It opens with the map to provide context, and it introduces the overall idea with a highlight on the SDG goal, or goals.

After that I would go to the drone shot of the terraced farming, then the shot where you talk about agriculture hit by changing weather.

Then go into the farmer making biochar, and after he's finished all the steps of making it you could show a single diagram (perhaps the static one with the four quadrant comments, then animate the popup caption in the middle).

Then, the before / after shot of the crop growing better with biochar, and Peter suggested a shot with the farmer holding a plant up and zooming into the thick roots of the plant with some caption about how biochar affects the growth of the roots.  There could also be some mention about "a cheap, locally produced fertilizer that uses all natural ingredients".

Finally, the closing shot of the woman "convincing farmers to use biochar".  This shot could be a good closing shot, but in the video you have now the rhythm isn't right, and it feels abrupt.  

That could fade into a closing shot with the SDG Asia project logo on one side, and the YFEED logo on the other.   Refer to the LDC video for an example.

Try a slow fade to the symbols, or you could try freezing the final frame of the woman teaching, turn the still frame into sepia tones, and then fade to the symbols.

Brant

Picture of Soney Rai
by Soney Rai - Monday, 10 December 2018, 6:28 PM

Hello Brant and friends,

We have changed the video according to the feedback and also we have come up with two endings. So here are the two videos that you can compare and get slight changes.

1. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13k_1jhUX9kWB9nJ6aNg_n6otS5lXh2ep?fbclid=IwAR2qoXByzjATb7vDEw8sdjryU5KADcArlGrAlQBpCjfiOS35jpDIWcdLiyI

2.https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13k_1jhUX9kWB9nJ6aNg_n6otS5lXh2ep?fbclid=IwAR2qoXByzjATb7vDEw8sdjryU5KADcArlGrAlQBpCjfiOS35jpDIWcdLiyI

Regards,

Soney

Picture of Brant Knützen
updated short videos
by Brant Knützen - Monday, 10 December 2018, 8:06 PM

Hi Soney,

Thanks for posting the updated short video for YFEED, and good job trying an alternative ending!

It also looks like you have captured some additional footage of the farmer with his plant roots, etc!

I've sent your link to DJ for his review, we'll see what he says.

Brant

Picture of Soney Rai
Re: updated short videos
by Soney Rai - Tuesday, 11 December 2018, 12:34 PM

Hello Brant,

Thank you for your wonderful comment. Yes, we have shot an additional footage to match the feedback.

Regards,

Soney

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Tuesday, 11 December 2018, 1:10 PM

Dear Soney,

Find below the feedback from DJ.

Sounds like he prefers the new ending you shot (V3), so well done getting that new footage!

I think his advice applies to creating the "clean" version of V3, which he can use in the "mashup" of all 5 team short videos.

You don't need to change V3 as the short video for YFEED, just follow his suggestions for generating a "clean" version (based on V3) with no music or narration, only ambient sound and voice quotes.

You should also update your script file to match, including the translation of any quotes in languages other than English.

When you have the clean version ready, please upload the 3 files (V3, clean V3, and script) to the project Gdrive at:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lHlhWUcK79BNjliv-wjT1d2NlsVBiRai

Let me know if you have any questions.

Brant

------------------------------------------------------

1. As we need to unify all the videos please remove the map and graphics at the start.

2. Please no fade to black transitions - just straight cuts is best.

3. Please provide this chart without any text on it. We will add text.

0?ui=2&ik=b64f030299&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1619526931325839031&th=1679b729d5dae6b7&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8G-Z0VnLIWxxPNrzuCYgoP3qLbU7cQG1usMQXWC0BNh5yFpkVWGmK80BSwzlQ6QEl5tbOroK-QHCryblrf_npy_EHZANMRpEkiBPxY-g3ogSX1K4MyOaJmbAA&disp=emb

4. For the soundbite at the end we need a translation of what he is saying.

As for V2 vs V3: go with V3 with the quote.
-----------------------------------------

Picture of Krishna Bahadur Khadka
by Krishna Bahadur Khadka - Thursday, 13 December 2018, 12:15 AM

Hi Brant,

Thank you so much for your feedbacks. We are confused regarding the chart you mention in the feedback and I think given link is not also not opening. I am not sure but, I think you are referring to this section. If I am wrong please guide us once.

Thank You

Regards,
Krishna 

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Thursday, 13 December 2018, 5:59 AM

Hi Krishna,

Yes, that is the chart that DJ wants with no text on it.

It has five pieces of text, but he just wants the underlying graphic, so he can do the animated text moves himself.

If you have the bare graphic, I think you should upload it to the GDrive as a separate PNG file, so DJ can get the full quality for use in his editing process.

Brant

Picture of Krishna Bahadur Khadka
by Krishna Bahadur Khadka - Thursday, 13 December 2018, 12:53 PM

Hello Brant,

Here is our files as you requested to upload. We have uploaded on the folder you have created for us.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YvfC4DS7pyzLgBPd-OAGElL9KRDUmmfQ

If there is anything we are missing, please let us know.

Regards,
Krishna Khadka

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Friday, 14 December 2018, 9:00 AM

Ok Krishna and Soney,

Thanks for updating the YFEED short clean video based on DJ's feedback, and uploading the files as requested.

Good work!   I hope to see you in the web conference tomorrow.

Brant