Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN

Group 14

Picture of Sum Lok Lee
Group 14
by Sum Lok Lee - Monday, 20 April 2020, 12:28 AM

Really sorry! I just found out I named wrong, I am group 14...

Never mind, let's start our discussion here.. xp

Picture of Sum Lok Lee
Re: Group 14
by Sum Lok Lee - Monday, 20 April 2020, 12:45 AM

Greetings,

The impression of Hong Kong of many people are hong kong is a place full of tall buildings, making a image of a urban city which is unsustainable. Actually, I quite agreed with this point before.

However, when we learn more about hk, we'll find out hk is a place full of green place. There are 75% of hk's land are green land, approximately. An example of green land in hk, country park. Country parks and special protected areas covered 440km² of hk while the total are of hk is 1104km², which means about 40% of land in hk is country parks. That's a lot! (there's a picture of Pok Fu Lam country park in hk :)

Green area work as the 'lungs' of hk. Although the government didn't promote much about green buildings to better the situation of air pollution of hk, the large area of country park can refresh the polluted air from different infrastructure. 

So, I think area of green area could be one of the criteria. What do you guys think?

Best,

Flora

I enjoy every moment in my life
by Tonia Chan - Monday, 20 April 2020, 1:07 AM

This is so good,Flora!Look forward to our group discussion;)

by Tonia Chan - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 5:35 PM

Hello everyone,

I think one of the criteria should be used to judge a green city is urban planning.A green city should put efforts to make an urban area better and healthier through different directions like economic, environmental, and constructive etc.Also green city should add open space provision, affordable housing and new communities.

Besides,we should also think about the municipal solid waste of a city. Solid waste from households, commercial and industrial sources are harm to environment.In 2018,the total quantity of solid waste disposed of at the strategic landfills in HK was 5.87 million tonnes.The average daily quantity was 16096 tonnes per day,which has increased by 3.7% as compared to 2017.The landfill space will be running out soon in HK and also brings environmental problems which are toxins, leachate and greenhouse gases. The government will need to act quickly before all the landfills have been exhausted.

Looking forward to your views on different gruen criterias !!

Best

Tonia 

by Tonia Chan - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 5:49 PM

It’s an ted talk youtube video,I found it quite useful and Inspiring.Feel free to watch it and share your thoughts about it!

Picture of Sum Lok Lee
by Sum Lok Lee - Thursday, 30 April 2020, 10:57 PM

I just watched the ted talk you shared. I agree with the point that everyone should be responsible for making city become green and sustainable. Even a small step can already make a good help for the city!

Best wishes,

Flora

Picture of Khushi Toprani
by Khushi Toprani - Monday, 4 May 2020, 5:07 AM

Agreed! It is our duty to the community to do our bit!

Picture of Sum Lok Lee
by Sum Lok Lee - Thursday, 30 April 2020, 10:46 PM

Hi,

It's nice to see the different criteria you think of! Maybe we can move on to the next step now? Look forward to having more discussion with you!

Best, 

Flora

Picture of Sum Lok Lee
by Sum Lok Lee - Thursday, 30 April 2020, 11:20 PM

Hey!

I just think of some more criteria,

1. Renewable energy, nowadays we rely on non-renewable, but non-renewable energy such as fossil fuels and nuclear energy are wasteful and sometimes dangerous. So, I think that the proportion of using renewable energy in a city is one of the criteria of judging a green city.

2. Pollution problem, pollution problem included pollution problem like air, noise, light, soil, heat pollution etc. Different cities from the world are suffering different pollution problem, just like our groupmate shared before, her city is suffering air pollution problem. Similarly, Hong Kong sometimes will face air pollution problem too. So, I think different kind of pollution problems could be a criteria to judge a green city!

Here's a photo of Hong Kong air pollution.

Best,

Flora

by Khushi Toprani - Monday, 4 May 2020, 5:18 AM

Yes, adding on to your point about pollution, we can compare the level of pollution over a number of years and conclude whether it has increased or decreased. If it has decreased, we can look at the factors that led to this decrease.

by Khushi Toprani - Monday, 4 May 2020, 5:16 AM

Good point Tonia. The landfills may lead to air pollution and even deterioration of soil quality had fertility. To enhance your proposed criteria, I think we can further explore the forms of waste disposal: is the waste being recycled? Does it have the capacity of being recycled and producing useful products that are less detrimental to nature? 

Germany has the highest recycling rate of 56.1%, we can explore the recycling strategies proposed by the government in Germany and consolidate them in our criteria too!

Would love to hear your opinion on this.

Best wishes,

Khushi

by Khushi Toprani - Monday, 4 May 2020, 5:11 AM

The proportion of green spaces in a country is also an important factor in judging how green it is! After all, trees are the source of our survival.

by Khushi Toprani - Monday, 4 May 2020, 5:37 AM

Hey there!

There are a plethora of criteria based on which each city should be judge as a green city, but the most important, in my opinion, are the following:

• Sustainable land usage: has the land been divided adequately between urban creations and the natural environment? Is there a balance between the two?
  • Waste disposal methods: Are they sustainable? Do they recycle resources, to produce more useful products?
  • Pollution: Compare the level of pollution over a number of years, and deduce a trend. Based on the trend, judge if the county has taken measures to reduce pollution. 
  • Education: What percentage of the population is educated? Are the aware of what it means to use resources in a sustainable manner?

All these criteria should be measured over years, and deduce a trend for better judgement.