Evaluate your city - Forum discussion

Ghaziabad,UP,India

Picture of Divya Agarwal
Ghaziabad,UP,India
by Divya Agarwal - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 12:03 PM

Hii I am Divya Agarwal from Ghaziabad,UP, India.

Anyone who lives in my city and wishes to work with me is most welcomed!

We will work with full dedication!!

Picture of Gambali Chaitanya
Re: Ghaziabad,UP,India
by Gambali Chaitanya - Wednesday, 22 April 2020, 12:22 PM

Hello Divya,

I am from Ghaziabad too and I hope we can work as a team.

Picture of Navvya Rahate
by Navvya Rahate - Sunday, 26 April 2020, 10:58 PM

Hey there. 

I live in Indirapuram, Ghaziabad. And I look forward to working with you as a team. ;)

If we evaluate our city, I think it is somewhat Green. The air quality index is usually very high and also, how can we neglect the Garbage dump in Ghazipur? 

Still, the public areas are clean and well maintained. Keeping in mind the current situation, Ghaziabad has focused a lot on sanitation, sanitising every society. On a scale of 1-10, I would give Ghaziabad a 6. 

Thanks

;)

by Gambali Chaitanya - Monday, 27 April 2020, 1:41 AM

I agree about the Landfill Navya. What an eyesore!!

Picture of Divya Agarwal
by Divya Agarwal - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 11:51 AM

According to me, I would like to give 5 on 10 to Ghaziabad as there are some people of rural areas who don't do proper disposal of waste.

So, we need to include all the sectors of population living in Ghaziabad.

Thanks

Divya 

by Gambali Chaitanya - Monday, 27 April 2020, 12:46 AM

ABOUT:

Ghaziabad is a big city with a population of about 1.7 million people(2011 census). It is located in the northeastern part of National Capital Region, about 20 km east of Delhi. The City is spread and developed on both the sides of River Hindon, an important tributary of River Yamuna. Both the river and the tributary are pretty much indistinguishable from a drain. That’s sad, right? In 2019, Ghaziabad ranked as the world's most polluted city. 

#1) Waste Management

The city generates about 800-100 metric tonnes of garbage a day and sadly, has a pathetic waste management system. However, progress, albeit slow, is being made.

• The waste management and street sweeping department in Ghaziabad’s municipal corporations are extremely rudimentary, and unorganized. The official reports and my own personal experience tell very different stories. Here’s a picture that summarizes Ghaziabad’s street cleaning process.

m40tDuQ6BXG-aPI96byWohRcnclHMPPHFZ6eDfCYN1kQdI1Si9f6C1AA9UKgh3joCJxUAzuHm21DS-gHDEHWYNqocQvbcHqdTDM6utolcL2_AvlyyOOkY7rYiGD-7y97i9kyk6Y

• Solid waste collection practices vary greatly. Apartment complexes, Including mine, often hire someone for the garbage collection. A person will come door to door to collect garbage. He/She will then collect all of it in a big bag which is then carried on a cycle cart and dumped in local dumps like the ones shown above. There is no in-situ separation of garbage and all of it is just dumped together. Nowadays, as part of the larger Clean India Campaign, Ghaziabad Municipal Corporation has started the initiative collection vehicles. They drive around the city collecting garbage and it is separated in two wet and dry waste. They all play and annoying jingle loudly on loudspeakers though :D . 

• There is also a gargantuan landfill in Ghazipur area. This is an eyesore for the city as it is the first thing one sees when entering the city from New Delhi, the country’s capital. Here’s a picture, sorry about that!

VxebnoazGs4sV1r6Qzagrf78GKAQ3mKdF3wZkdcejImYJA9oqzxfWAbsnCZ8MVziP2dJD3b743LWaD1l4Op6X0MQaiPZmbeFa7ywph3_HiFyU5-CDZLRUeOj7Q1ECqQXGwI0r-U

*The Ghazipur Landfill actually falls under Ghaziabad

Here's a picture:

DpQxtKG9SdUZhmT3OvUP4SaMJtkUTZW1vcNbBcAHxBKw4yPjwUFplaYMRXBBLIXsMovQsQkNQf70bPSrq8soXyMfCpsNH3rzOY79aBNCMzeRi6-Nz_i5NHprkWdwmOw1jZrX9uQ

A portion of the landfill collapsed recently and the garbage blocked the roads and even knocked a car into a neighbouring canal. There were casualties also.

Check out this file for more precise data

To conclude, I would say, Ghaziabad is pathetic in terms of waste management and it's just sad. However, things have been improved recently in terms of waste management and collection as discussed above and slowly I hope it will get better.

(PS: I wrote this first on google docs and then posted it, hence the formatting)

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 12:12 AM

Wow, that picture of the Ghazipur landfill is amazing, Gambali!   65 meters high, and in imminent danger of collapsing!

Good job posting such an informative and interesting contribution to the discussion!

Have you ever seen the movie WALL-E?  The premise is that Earth has become uninhabitable due to the amount of garbage!

Check out the trailer here: 

Brant

GRUEN workshop moderator & technical facilitator

by Gambali Chaitanya - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 11:53 AM

Thank you for you encouragement sir,

I have watcehd Wall-E multiple times and it is one of my favourite movies :D

Picture of Aditi Yadav
by Aditi Yadav - Tuesday, 5 May 2020, 4:58 PM

Hello sir !!!

I hv actually seen similar mountain of trash on the outskirts of Delhi. Usually trucks climb this huge heap for unloading, and on one such mountain of waste, trees have been planted and it's a park now.

https://swachhindia.ndtv.com/garbage-hill-eco-park-okhla-landfill-to-change-for-better-36117/

It's really alarming !!!!

I just can't believe that Gazipur landfill will soon surpass Taj Mahal in height !!!!

Picture of Ian Mo
by Ian Mo - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 10:32 PM

Very interesting! Are there any policies that the Indian Government are going to impose to help with this landfill situation?

by Gambali Chaitanya - Monday, 27 April 2020, 1:24 AM

Air Pollution

Delhi being the national capital of India is well studied and its woes of pollution are well known, However, Ghaziabad, which is just adjacent to Delhi and falls under the NCR, is not studied at all, even though the pollution levels are identical, if not higher.

• The main sources of pollution in the city are transport, industry and burning of garbage.
  • The public transportation system in Delhi has transitioned to CNG based vehicles. However, such a transition has not been observed here although small vehicles such as autorickshaws operate on CNG.
  • Air pollution really becomes worse at the time of Diwali every year which is the Hindu festival of lights people and people burn a ton of crackers which cause heavy emissions and drive up the particulate matter levels. After last year's Diwali, Delhi's AQI had crossed the 600-mark, which is 12 times the safe limit. The AQI post-Diwali was 367 in 2017 and 425 in 2016.(Refer)

71812463.jpg

• Just after Diwali, the harvest season approaches. In many parts of northern India, crops are cut and the left over stubble is burnt, releasing huge amounts of particulate matter. Last year, pollution was at a record high. Recounting from personal experience, It was like an apocalypse. Smog everywhere and visibility wasn’t more than a few meters. My eyes were burning and breathing was difficult. Here are some pictures for an idea:

All this pollution makes me sick and not want to live here any more. What a bummer!   :_((

by Gambali Chaitanya - Monday, 27 April 2020, 1:39 AM

Circular Economy

Ghaziabad has unfortunately not taken any steps towards a circular economy. Waste collection is very unorganized and therefore, there is little scope of recycling on a large scale.

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 12:16 AM

Hi Gambali,

Check out this article about how other countries handle trash.

Brant

by Gambali Chaitanya - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 12:01 PM

I was going through this article, and I did not really like the way Sweden is handling its waste. Burning your waste is simply like avoiding your problems. I learnt that sweden uses this energy to heat homes during the harsh swedish winters. However, this doesn't justify anything. Waste to energy plants produce fly ash and cause a lot of emissions. For a first world country like Sweden, with an educated and environmentally conscious population, recycling and composting should be the method of choice. What are your views sir?

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Wednesday, 29 April 2020, 1:49 AM

I agree that burning is generally not a good solution to waste management, as it tends to spread a local waste management issue to other areas.

On the other hand, didn't the article say that 99% of Sweden's trash is recycled or re-used in some way?   I don't know of any other country that can make that claim!

Try to find out what method Sweden uses to incinerate the trash, and what methods they use to reduce the production of fly ash.

I know in Hong Kong the smokestacks on the coal-burning plant has hi-tech scrubbers that reduce the amount of fly ash produced.

Brant

Picture of Navvya Rahate
by Navvya Rahate - Friday, 1 May 2020, 12:13 AM

I think the Municipal Corporation in Ghaziabad are a bit lazy concerning the Garbage disposal. Rest assured, the Garbage is controlled in many areas.

Picture of Navvya Rahate
by Navvya Rahate - Friday, 1 May 2020, 12:14 AM

Hey Gambali!

I certainly agree with you and thanks a lot for the information.

Picture of Garima Shukla
by Garima Shukla - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 3:23 PM

I agree with you navvya , but I think that municipal corporations arent the only one who are lazy ....its the people as well . If municipal corporation is to be blamed for the waste then 50 percent of that blame is on people as well .

I have personally experienced this as there is a huge dustbin outside my school for the locals but the dustbin never filled as the people were too lazy to come near the dustbin and throw the garbage "inside" it instead they just tossed it near the dustbin without caring if it fell in the dustbin, on the dustbin or outside the dustbin.....their only concern was that the garbage should be out  from their homes 

Everyday workers from municipal corporation came to clean it but it was the same thing again the next day. I attached a pic as well 

So I think one of our problem and that too a big one is not air pollution or waste ill management it is lazy people .

Picture of Garima Shukla
by Garima Shukla - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 3:25 PM

So I think we should also evaluate a city on how readily and actively people are willing to work for the betterment of their city

Picture of Divya Agarwal
by Divya Agarwal - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 11:48 AM

Yes agreed!

But I think that the life sytle of people should also be a criteria as if the people around us are educated then they must know about the proper waste disposal methods.

What do all of you think about it?

Divya

Picture of Aditi Yadav
by Aditi Yadav - Tuesday, 5 May 2020, 5:08 PM

Hello sir !!!

Even in India recently a WASTE TO WONDER PARK has been constructed,where seven wonders of the world have been made  using scrap waste.

Here's the link to know more

https://www.wastetowonderpark.com/

Regards 

Picture of Divya Agarwal
by Divya Agarwal - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 11:35 AM

Ya sure! I live at Rakesh Marg in Ghaziabad.

Here the house waste is collected by the government vehicles on daily basis.

Also the sewers are being cleaned for better flow of liquid waste!

What is the condition in your area?

Picture of Garima Shukla
by Garima Shukla - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 4:49 PM

It is same for my area too (avantika phase 2), there are different dustbins kept for different waste and for once I see people throwing the waste "in" the dustbin and that too in the right one . So I think that people are becoming a bit conscious about their planet.

Picture of Divya Agarwal
by Divya Agarwal - Wednesday, 6 May 2020, 3:05 PM

But in my area the people are really cautious and there are proper waste disposal meathods being followed.

They are concerned about the separation of waste into blue bin and green bin.