Hey! Let's start the discussion on the criteria here.
Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN
According to me, following criteria should be taken into account while judging a green city-
1. Green House Gas emission: I think we all can agree on this one as GHGs are the very reason leading to global warming and extreme climatic situations. Evaluation should be done on the basis of emission by fuel sources and by end use (commercial, residential, industrial and transport).
2. Air Quality Index and Water: air and water are the basic necessities we need for our survival and if they are contaminated and unfit for consumption, then there's no point of sustainable life.
3. Waste Management: measure of how much waste is taken to landfill sites and what are the government policies for treatment of waste in that city including recycling.
4. Conservation of Biodiversity: no doubt biodiversity boosts ecosystem productivity and ensures natural sustainability of all life forms. One way of evaluating this is by measuring total green area in the city.
What do you guys think? Please post your suggestions asap!
Criteria for judging a GRUEN: (according to me)
1. Percentage of green energy used: Out of the total energy used by the city, the amount of green energy used to generate electricity and other resources should count for whether the city is sustainable or not.
2. How green are the people?: There should be regular surveys and checks regarding the attitude of people towards the environment and people should be encouraged to be as green as they can be.
3. Production of goods: It should be taken into account for how many goods are produced sustainably and how many are not. This proportion should determine what actions are needed be taken to reduce the materials which harm the environment (like plastic,CFCs etc.)
4. Transportation: The transportation sector plays a huge role in determining the condition of a city. For example, If the population utilizes the public transportation more than private transport then there would be a significant reduction in climate evils such as pollution.
5. Carbon emission: The net carbon emission of a city should be regularly calculated and steps to reduce it as much as possible must be taken on a regular basis.
6. Technology: How is the city incorporating technology to reduce environmental exploitation plays a key role as well. For example, refurnishing old cars (incorporation of recycling) adding the latest tech such as better mileage i.e. making them fuel efficient and selling them on a cheaper price will reduce pollution to a significant level and an addition to that would be sustainable urban economy.
Hence, technology is necessary for sustainable development as well.
That's all! (for now)
Thanks Ria! Yours too!
But could you please mention how do you intend to evaluate attitudes of people, production of goods and technology usage in our city..
Thanks for the question Shubhra!
The attitude of the people towards their environment will be evaluated through regular surveys and on the basis of the condition of their neighborhood.
The production of goods will be monitored in a sense so as to reduce the usage of harmful materials like plastic. Instead of straws(for instance) made up of plastic could be replaced by bamboo straws or other alternatives.
Technology here refers to green technology in perspective like renewable energy which will support the environment in making it sustainable.
Hope this helps!
P.S. Thank you for taking in my offer, partner!