Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN

(Group no.27)

Hello I'm Twinkle Soni and I'm from India. My school name is Subodh Public School,Jaipur,Rajasthan.
(Group no.27)
by Twinkle Soni - Friday, 17 April 2020, 10:36 PM

~Hello to all group members this discussion area is for Group no.27 , give your criteria to judge your city here by reply option and also make a catchy slogan for your topic , here are my thoughts regarding a green city.

•Equal Balance in Biodiversity and Technology Era:

~From the above topic it clearly indicates that technology era is slowly demolishing our biodiversity through many cases . Some of them are reckless cutting forests for industrial and estate areas , excess of garbage thrown in marine waters, animal poaching at international markets to have more money, buying exotic species and endangered species. Why? Apart from the above reasons one is the most common which is done everyday is creating a large amount of air pollutants in our environment which harms our respiratory system. Why it is so? By creating a balance in biodiversity and technology world it will heal our resources also it will serve as profit for our upcoming years. By using the land which is left unusual can be used for industrial purposes and by using areas which are not prone to animals and forest life should be choosen for estate areas so, they create  a equal balance between Mother nature and Urbanisation. Try to use public transport instead of using yours to avoid less pollution and have a healthy air for breathing , Hunting and Poaching is banned , Environmental laws to be seen strictly , Surveys should be conducted for every forests,rivers,lakes. Bio-reserves , Biological Parks, Zoological Parks must be made. Communities should educate people by sharing slogans and thoughts.Small measures it will gradually shows change not immediately but definitely.

Picture of Urja Kohli
Re: (Group no.27)
by Urja Kohli - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 7:19 PM

Hi Twinkle and Sunishka ,

i just request you both to repost your criteria on the other forum of group 27 which was made firstly .(look for it in the group list) 

I like your criteria and we can work upon it . 

Also , in order to join the whatsapp group of Group 27 access this link :

https://chat.whatsapp.com/HAn3hl52Bo5KekuoL81tjR

Thank you 

Urja 

Picture of Oishi Roy Burman
by Oishi Roy Burman - Monday, 4 May 2020, 8:53 PM

Hello everyone! I'm so sorry that I'm late. I live in Noida so industries are actually all I see around me. So here is what I have to propose:

1.sustainable use of land and water resources: 

Land provides an environment for agricultural production, but it also is an essential condition for improved environmental management, including source/sink functions for greenhouse gasses, recycling of nutrients, amelioration and filtering of pollutants, and transmission and purification of water as part of the hydrologic cycle. The objective of sustainable land management is to harmonize the complimentary goals of providing environmental, economic, and social opportunities for the benefit of present and future generations, while maintaining and enhancing the quality of the land (soil, water and air) resource. Sustainable land management is the use of land to meet changing human needs (agriculture, forestry, conservation), while ensuring long-term socioeconomic and ecological functions of the land. 

Water is a finite natural resource that is essential for our survival. Over the years the reserves of freshwater are running low and some regions in the world are faced with severe water stress. Climate change has impacted the pattern and amount of precipitation and the water shortage has escalated with rapid population growth and urbanization. As a result, we and the natural environment are confronted with a serious water shortage. Sustainable water management is a strategy for maintaining future water resources that include increasing water supply and managing the way we use freshwater to sustain economic growth for current and future generations. This article aims to discuss the state-of-the-art of managing water supply and demand as a natural resources and what indicators are being developed to identify water scarcity worldwide. The article reviews the technologies that have been developed to implement sustainable water management at the community scale, demonstrated with case studies. 

2. proper waste disposal 

Waste management is required to be done on daily basis as the amount of waste we generate on daily basis is mammoth in term of tons. Waste management though is very vague, being precise it’s important to understand waste segregation at source, waste processing and proper waste disposal. If we do not process it on daily basis then it starts piling up and ideally, we use value of it. I would say waste is ideally a resource if it’s handled in a right way within its timeframe. 

Picture of Sunishka Danwar
by Sunishka Danwar - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 7:25 PM

Hello to all the groupmates!!

In my opinion, this criteria can be considered while evaluating any city. 

Human Health and Well Being 

As it is very well known and obvious too that the increasing levels of air pollution, water pollution, excessive noise and toxic chemicals in our environment are leading to  global warming and hence climate change. They are becoming a threat to the health and quality of life of the living organisms ( and so obviously for we humans too;-))

We need to reduce them with the goal of Non Toxic Living Environment

Here,  I will be focusing more on air pollution!!

According to me, the most basic and the biggest reason behind this increasing air pollution is TRANSPORT. 

Nowadays, transport has become the most important necessity of modern society but on the same hand it just can't be ignored that they have some substantially negative impacts on the environment and the health of living organisms too. Studies show that the demand and miles travelled by the vehicles increase each day. Naturally, the vehicles are of great importance in our lives (for example, it provides employment to many people like those engaged in import-export services) and just stopping or trying to stop their use is not the solution. 

Also, looking to the conditions of many cities, we can say that the use of the transportation facilities is still not sustainable. There have been some improvements like focusing and emphasizing more on the use of CNG but the situation is still not in control. For this, we need to work on energy efficient vehicles. The situation now demands technological improvements, better urban planning, investment in infrastructure and designing a sustainable feature and future for Transport. It will take some time but is essential and possible with the involvement of all of us. 

Hello I'm Twinkle Soni and I'm from India. My school name is Subodh Public School,Jaipur,Rajasthan.
by Twinkle Soni - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 3:06 PM

Hello to all great environmentalists , It's now time to share about my City where I live. I belong from city of Rajputana where Great Warriors have born , Jaipur, Rajasthan also known as Pink City . In past few years it was also named a Green City as city consists of great lakes, forests,ghats and so on. Apart from lakes the Sambhar Lake is the most famous salt lake of my city . Also our Nahargarh Biological Park is famous for serving protection towards endemic species and also endangered species. Government plans special programmes for cleanliness also some environmentalists who organise programme for cleaning public places. Main aspect of every educational institutions apart From education and ambience they also look for cleanliness such as our school aims at cleanliness must be our aspect at every grounds .Our city has ranked 39 under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan a  great initiative taken by our honourable prime minister of India Shri Narendra Modi , also they awarded our city for cleanliness in Indore in 2018 . Besides these our Municipal corporation is also working great towards the mission of Green India , Clean India. We the people of India also must be aware of cleanliness, a great aspect of our healthy life some measures which we can take our : • Avoid plastic bags and things which are made from plastic .

•Carry your own jute/cloth bags while going for shopping. I

•Instead of cutting short piece of milk packet cut a bigger one as it can be harmful for marine life if they digest the short piece of milk packet as it is made up of plastic.

• Avoid littering , throwing of plastic in rivers as it's polluting them.

Picture of Khushi Garg
by Khushi Garg - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 7:10 PM

Hey Twinkle!

You need to post this message on another forum as this is for another week! 

This is how you can post-

Navigation> gruen cycle2> how green is your city?> forum discussion> then post it on the subject Jaipur which is already benn made by me:)

Khushi

Picture of Khushi Garg
by Khushi Garg - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 9:17 PM

*Been

Re: (Group no.27) Proposing gruen city
by Twinkle Soni - Thursday, 23 April 2020, 10:16 PM

Hello to all great environmentalists , It's now time to share about my City where I live. I belong from city of Rajputana where Great Warriors have born , Jaipur, Rajasthan also known as Pink City . In past few years it was also named a Green City as city consists of great lakes, forests,ghats and so on. Apart from lakes the Sambhar Lake is the most famous salt lake of my city . Also our Nahargarh Biological Park is famous for serving protection towards endemic species and also endangered species. Government plans special programmes for cleanliness also some environmentalists who organise programme for cleaning public places. Main aspect of every educational institutions apart From education and ambience they also look for cleanliness such as our school aims at cleanliness must be our aspect at every grounds .Our city has ranked 39 under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan a  great initiative taken by our honourable prime minister of India Shri Narendra Modi , also they awarded our city for cleanliness in Indore in 2018 . Besides these our Municipal corporation is also working great towards the mission of Green India , Clean India. We the people of India also must be aware of cleanliness, a great aspect of our healthy life some measures which we can take our : • Avoid plastic bags and things which are made from plastic .

•Carry your own jute/cloth bags while going for shopping. I

•Instead of cutting short piece of milk packet cut a bigger one as it can be harmful for marine life if they digest the short piece of milk packet as it is made up of plastic.

• Avoid littering , throwing of plastic in rivers as it's polluting them.

~Some other things which can be observed in my city is:

•Jaipur is the political and economical capital of Rajasthan. The city currently houses a population of around 3.9 million in an area spanning 200 sq. km. It is historically the first planned city of the country built in a period of 4 years from 1727 to 1731 AD. Today, Jaipur is the center for education and employment opportunities in the state as well as a vibrant tourist destination. The improving socio-economic status, easy availability of vehicles, increase in population and lack of good public transport is resulting in steep growth of vehicles. The city specifically faces problems of congestion in the old city areas, vehicular pollution, poor public transport, inadequate pedestrian and parking facilities and needs immediate solutions for these issues.

Water Pollution is also a concern for the city, and water resources are very limited. The
Master development plan states that Ramgarh Lake meets only 30% of the requirements for
the city; the rest of the water is supplied through tube wells. The ground water table is
lowering and this is one of the main problems for the city, particularly since the city is
located inland. The Master Development Plan aims to improve the recharging of the ground
water basin however, and has proposed that the water supply has a complete reorganisation.
The procedure that they will use to do this however has not been explained, giving concern
about how this will help improve the water supply. Locations of the sewerage and waste
facilities have also been proposed to ensure minimum pollution of the water supply.
Soil Erosion and Deforestation
The plan states that the largest problems for Jaipur in terms of the environmental
circumstances are as follows:
•Deforestation and the reduction in forest covers
•Soil erosion
•Silting of the water beds and water channels, meaning that the rivers are shallow
•Reduction in the ground water table levels
Since these are of the most concern for the city these need to be dealt with the highest
priority in comparison to the other main problems. The Plan states that it is the deforestation
that has resulted in the most problems, since the trees are not there to embed the soil and
prevent the soil from moving, causing large amounts of soil erosion because of the
vulnerability to winds and rain. These subsequent problems have resulted in changes in the 
ecosystems and subsystems of the city, which in the future could have problematic
consequences.
Since these are the main concerns of the city the Master Development Plan has included
several proposals to improve this. Firstly there has been a proposal for new regional and city
forests and woodland, parks and other such recreational areas. These areas will be designed
to introduce new plantation into the city and encourage tree growth to assist with the
problems that the desert city faces. This is a promising aspect to the city and the new trees
not only prevent soil erosion but can also help to sustain the environment for the future since
these areas will not be used for anything other than recreational purposes. The forest areas
and gardens within the city will also be used to promote tourism, and some areas will be
developed as picnic spots for tourists and locals alike. Several corridors will be developed for
plantation and green areas will also promote a good visual image for the city. These stretches
of land would also promote wildlife and migration of many birds and animals, not only
helping the visual image particularly in sense for tourists but also increasing the ecological
balance for the city. Many animals and birds require trees to live and breed which even a
small corridor of trees can assist with. This assists with the protection of these areas and will
encourage awareness for the maintenance of these areas. The city has a large tourism
business and using the tourism industry to the advantage of the environment is very useful.

Picture of Seher Khurana
by Seher Khurana - Saturday, 25 April 2020, 11:37 PM

Hello guys! Everyone has come up with excellent ideas!!

I’m a resident of New Delhi, and our city faces a lot of pollution issues - air, noise, water - which is leading to the gradual decline in our chances to have a better lifestyle. Thus, I’m inclined towards the discussion of the following criteria for my city:

1. Sustainable urban mobility: So basically the number of vehicles running in Delhi has increased exponentially in the last few years. The vehicle emissions and also the rise in the number of factories and has ultimately lead to a rise in the Air Quality Index, which has decreased the purity of air drastically. Our government has taken several initiatives in the last few years, like the Odd-Even rule and many users have also switched to CNG rather than petrol and diesel, but this has hardly improved the air quality. One way to reduce this can be to limit the number of vehicles owned per family. The other one can be to use what is called ‘biofuel’. They make use of plant and animal life to create energy - the essence of these fuels being some form of organic matter. They are renewable in the sense where plants are used, which means they can be regrown on a yearly basis. This was initially adopted by the USA, and can be adopted by a city like ours too. I think this is an important one because it will keep on degrading our quality of living and at some point of time, it’ll be too difficult to control it 

2. Green Growth and Eco-innovation: Green growth basically means fostering economic growth and development while ensuring that the natural assets continue to provide resources and environmental services on which our well being relies. Delhi has become a concrete jungle and literal terms and having a means to increase our green footprint is the need of the hour. The organisation of economic cooperation and development (OECD) delivered its Green Growth Strategy to Heads of 40 countries, proposing several measures for expanding economic growth and job opportunities through use of more sustainable and natural resources. On the same lines, Delhi can have several more Alternate Energy institutions opened up, like that of use of solar panels, biomass energy, hydrogen gas etc. This will reduce our use of fossil fuels too!  

Please check out these links too to have a better idea of these criteria:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10018-016-0141-x

https://www.oecd.org/sti/ind/eco-innovationinindustryenablinggreengrowth.htm

Thank you!