GROUP 37

Picture of NAVYA NAYER
GROUP 37
by NAVYA NAYER - Thursday, 16 April 2020, 11:53 PM

Let's develop our criteria here!
Picture of NAVYA NAYER
Re: GROUP 37
by NAVYA NAYER - Friday, 17 April 2020, 12:06 AM

According to me, the criteria for judging a city may revolve around the following aspects-

1) environment of the city

2) health facilities

3) poverty and literacy

4)clean food and water

5) biodiversity protection 

i hope for a prompt reply from all of you so that we can proceed with this asap. :)

Picture of Aneet Dhindsa
by Aneet Dhindsa - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 3:41 PM

Hi Navya ,

I think all 5 of these criteria are of utmost importance.

What do you think about public awareness and participation?

:)

Picture of Aneet Dhindsa
by Aneet Dhindsa - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 2:44 PM

Hi, 

It seems to me that:

Nature and Development go hand in hand. 

If the equilibrium between the two is in anyway disturbed, we will be inflicting heavy damage to the environment which in turn will lead to extreme situations. However, I also believe that if the species with the highest IQ does not reach it's full potential then what worth is it. Curiosity is the very genre of humans. Exploration, Research, Advancement, Knowledge are pivotal.

Therefore the criteria must take into account:

(1) Natural/environmental aspects. 

(2 )Developmental/economic aspects.

Picture of Aneet Dhindsa
by Aneet Dhindsa - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 3:23 PM

Natural Aspects:

• AQI: It is essential to live in a clean and healthy environment .
  • Green space: Nature gives the invaluable gift of recreation,Physical and mental health. This will also give rise to more biodiversity and more birds around us.
  • Affordable Public Transportation and Bike lanes: I couldn't agree more that a well developed infrastructure is required in order to boost certain practices.This will help the poor as well as lessen the number of private vehicles. Moreover, If proper space is provided then more people can consider using a bike which will have dual benefits: people being more fit and less number of cars.                                                                                           
  • Waste Disposal:Composting programmes: Waste disposal has proved to be one of the major problems for urban centres. Therefore, composting can be a good alternative.
  • Renewable energy resources: It's just about time that we stop burdening the earth by using fossil fuels, we must switch to renewable sources such as solar or wind.
  • Reducing and Recycling: Plastic-definitely not a thumbs up. A green city should be using plastic to the minimal most. And since we cannot stop using certain substances such as paper, tin etc recycling is at our rescue.
Picture of NAVYA NAYER
by NAVYA NAYER - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 10:38 PM

Hi Aneet, 

Yes i totally agree with you on these criteria suggested by you!!!!

Picture of Aneet Dhindsa
by Aneet Dhindsa - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 3:32 PM

Developmental Aspects:

• Quality of life: Everyone should have access to clean living environment, clean water as well as balanced diet.
  • Public Awareness: As long as a city misses public participation it is hard for it to be sustainable. And public participation will be present only if there is public awareness.
  • Research: A city should have research based education as well as laboratories to provide food for thought, for advancement and with advancement I think better ways to nourish the environment.
Picture of NAVYA NAYER
by NAVYA NAYER - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 10:39 PM

do i make a whatsapp group and send link so that we can have a more fruitful and prompt conversation there

Picture of Aneet Dhindsa
by Aneet Dhindsa - Monday, 20 April 2020, 12:07 PM

Hi

Yes...I think that'll be good...but how do we get everybody's number.

Picture of NAVYA NAYER
by NAVYA NAYER - Sunday, 26 April 2020, 7:40 PM

Okay so, since we need to finalise and move to the next activity, i have taken the combined points given by Aneet and me.

i wanted all the members of this team to pour in their views and ideas too on the same. Now that we have reached the deadline i supposed that the following points which i am listing below are the most common and basic ones that inculcate  the criteria for basic judgement of a city. i hope its agreeable for all of us. 

1) environment of the city- this includes the pollution levels and AQI 

2) health facilities- comprises of efficient, effective and affordable facilities

3) poverty and literacy- development of a city primarily depends of this

4)clean food and water- basic needs of people of city

5) biodiversity protection- ecological balance

6) recycling and reusing - this helps to judge the waste management in the city.

Sachal Dudani
by Sachal Dudani - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 11:02 PM

Hey!

since most of the important topics are already covered. i would just suggest a few topics that I feel are important. They maybe overlapping though.

Air Quality Index

Based on the pollutions level of places and analysing how it is improving or declining

Public Facilities

How public facilities are available to all in a region

Education

Pre-Preparedness against natural disasters 

Steps and Measures taken against people violating the laws

Backup facilities and measures for epidemics and pandemics.

Sachal Dudani
by Sachal Dudani - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 2:44 AM

I think the last three of these are pretty important and should be added

Sachal Dudani
by Sachal Dudani - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 2:45 AM

Also considering the current scenario, pre preparedness of such issues is important

Picture of Aneet Dhindsa
by Aneet Dhindsa - Monday, 4 May 2020, 12:08 PM

Hey

I am also curious to know as to what measures do you think should be taken for disasters or epidemics?

I think we should continue the practice of wearing masks and washing hands a number of times. An interesting fact that I would want to share is that a few researches suggest that the spread of coronavirus was not much in Japan due to their practice of wearing masks and washing hands.

You can read more about the same here:

(https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/coronavirus-pandemic-japan-shows-masks-help-slow-spread-covid-19/)

:)

Japan fumbles through the COVID-19 crisis | East Asia Forum

Sachal Dudani
by Sachal Dudani - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 2:46 AM

and to ensure all the things measures for those violating these should also be taken into consideration

Picture of Aneet Dhindsa
by Aneet Dhindsa - Monday, 4 May 2020, 11:38 AM

Hi Sachal

All of your proposed criteria are definitely pivotal.

And about measures against those who violate laws...I think can be a good idea. I personally feel that littering here and there also does lead to contamination. For instance, if you throw a plastic bottle which can be recycled it is a waste of resources, an unpleasant sight and therefore leading to a less green of an environment. 

The European countries have a strict policy for littering where the violator can be fined from 30 euros to a thousands of them. 

You can get an overview in the following image. This particular table is for Ireland.

Prosecution for littering offences ineffective and inadequate – report

Littering is just an example...violator can be of any big issue such as not following protocol for usage of chemicals or discarding waste from factories etc.