Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN

Group 9

That's me. Haha.
Group 9
by Nalini Dhiman - Wednesday, 15 April 2020, 3:58 PM

Group discussion for developing unanimous criteria for judging green cities. 

Here is my proposal: 

1. Population Density: It should be a moderate number because more people in 1 km sq. area means more strain on the resources in that region. 

2. Quality of air, land and water: the three spheres that make up the biosphere should be of good quality to ensure a stable environment. It will also help in maintaining ecological balance, as that is nature's cue. 

3. Surface Temperature: It must be in harmony with the country's axis-location: tropical, equator, etc. 

4. CFC levels: Global warming indicator. 

5. Biodiversity: Flora and fauna must be protected, and not only protected but also increased. 

That's all for now. Feel free to inquire or post your suggestions. 

Picture of Yau sasa
Re: Group 9
by Yau sasa - Thursday, 16 April 2020, 11:11 PM

Hi!I am Sasa.

It is important to consider what policies decisions are made to lead the city into a more eco friendly society. I think the policies making is a factor to judge a green city so below are some criteria which can be developed under the supervisions of policies.

I agree that the good quality of air and water and land can be used to ensure a stability of the environment. Like if there are improvements on the air pollution and water pollutions, less greenhouse gases will be released and more purified water can be used, which actually can satisfy the basic needs of human.

Also, I think putting efforts on or already generating renewable energy sources is a very important to develop green cities. As it is a sustainable way to generate energy and can also reduce the harms to the environment.

Thirdly, I think reducing solid wastes is also important because solid waste did harm the environment a lot. Therefore it is essential to build up a complete recycling system and enough promotions should be put to raise the awareness of citizens and activate them to join recycling.

Picture of Nalina Karkee
by Nalina Karkee - Friday, 17 April 2020, 5:26 PM

Hi I am Nalina...

According to my point of view the enlisted points can be taken as the criterias for judging the green city:

1)ENERGY PERFORMANCE:It is a crucial consideration to judge the utilization and the wastage of the resources and the means.It actually includes the way energy resouces of the country are used which evaluates the rate of sustainability.

2)GOVERNANCE:The plans and policies made by the government can also influence the rate of sustainability in the cities which also encourages public participation so that the resources get maintained to reduce the pollution

Picture of Baani Pahwa
by Baani Pahwa - Monday, 20 April 2020, 2:46 AM

Hi! I am Baani. 

According to me for a city to be classified as green it has to ensure the following-

1. Proper Waste Disposal and Waste Reduction

Proper waste disposal is crucial to maintain and create a green and clean environment. Disposing waste correctly and in a way that ensures harmony in our environment is an important factor of how clean a city really is. Moreover, reducing the amount of waste that is being disposed can also give way to a healthy city.

Here is an article that I found interesting- about how various countries found ways to tackle waste disposal and reduction.

Click here

2. Air Quality Index

On average, a person inhales about 14,000 litres of air every day, and the presence of contaminants in this air can adversely affect people’s health.The air around us has a direct impact on our well-being. For a city to be green and the people to be healthy, air quality enhancement becomes naturally essential. 

Picture of Ao Yi Chiu
by Ao Yi Chiu - Wednesday, 29 April 2020, 2:13 PM

Hi Baani, 

I agree that air quality should be a good judgement.

I think sustainable land use will be crucial as it takes in the long term urban development into consideration, and it would help release the potentialities of building more residential flats, commercial complexes as well as waste-to-energy plants. In short, a sustainable land use plan will contribute much to cater the growing population's need.

Picture of Ao Yi Chiu
by Ao Yi Chiu - Wednesday, 29 April 2020, 2:27 PM

Besides, eco-innovation encourages the developers and government to adopt greener, cheaper, high-quality methods to generate electricity and produce products. If the city encourages eco-innovation with adequate subsidies and policies, I believe the companies will be motivated to innovate their services.

Picture of chetansi kundalia
by chetansi kundalia - Thursday, 30 April 2020, 3:16 AM

Hi Everyone

I am Chetansi Kundalia

I believe that a city should have the following features to be sustainable :-

Cities are centres of economic and social activity. They can grow; they can decline. There is not a one-size-fits-all solution to make a city sustainable. Its not just about building green spaces, attracting innovative and green businesses and building strong public transport. It is about looking at the city as a whole, including the well being of its citizens.

We should keep our targets to reduce energy consumption per capita, as well as green house gas emissions. 

Waste management authorities need to prepare for collection of increased amount of organic waste and converting the waste into biogas.

Electricity generation using renewable resources, strict building codes favouring green technology, efforts and policies to cut waste, reduce water consumption.

The biggest challenge is to plan for a long term in other words to move from short to medium turn planning.

Picture of Ao Yi Chiu
by Ao Yi Chiu - Wednesday, 29 April 2020, 2:29 PM

Hi Nalina, 

I agree that governance is also important. Without the government's support, it is difficult to motivate the public to take actions.

That's me. Haha.
by Nalini Dhiman - Wednesday, 17 June 2020, 9:49 PM

I’m glad we were able to inculcate all our ideas into one main piece. 

That's me. Haha.
by Nalini Dhiman - Friday, 19 June 2020, 5:27 PM

Great!
That's me. Haha.
by Nalini Dhiman - Friday, 19 June 2020, 5:31 PM

It was great working with you guys...