Announcements

Green Growth: the Raworth Doughnut Model

Picture of Brant Knützen
Green Growth: the Raworth Doughnut Model
by Brant Knützen - Wednesday, 15 April 2020, 9:26 AM

Hello GRUEN participants!

Today I was discussing with Nihaar and Ananya about "Green Growth" as a balance between sustainable development and sustainable use of resources.  In my research, I came across a recent announcement by the Dutch city of Amsterdam that they planned to sustainably develop their economy to overcome the Covid-19 economic crisis using the "Doughnut Model"!

I dug some more to find out about this (obviously British, from the spelling) model, to find it was developed about 5 years ago by Kate Raworth, and she published a popular book about her model in 2017.

I think this model does a GREAT JOB illustrating the concept of an economic "sweet spot" of sustainable development bounded by the sustainable use of planetary resources!   I believe this model is very applicable to our GRUEN project.

Here's a short explanatory animation: 

And here is economist Kate Raworth's TEDx talk:

Here's the Guardian newspaper article about the adoption of the model by Amsterdam.

I also attach the key diagram, which shows the "Social Foundation" based on 12 SDGs, and the "Ecological Ceiling" based on 9 planetary boundaries.

Brant