Group 10
by Ryan Yiu - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 10:19 PM

Hi, teammates of group 10!

Let's discuss in here!

Picture of Ryan Yiu
Re: Group 10
by Ryan Yiu - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 10:32 PM

Since I live in Hong Kong, maybe share some point of view about HK

Firstly, for green infrastructure, I think the country park will be a good example. For your information, 

The Country and Marine Parks Board designated 24 country parks, four marine parks, and 22 special areas in the region, totalling more than 440 sq km of land – all dedicated to conservation, leisure, and education. So 40 per cent of its total land area of 1,108 sq km is actually designated as country parks. I think it is a good way to help the resident to develop a "greenery" mind by providing a chance to experience the beauty of nature. Knowing that Hong Kong is a small financial-living city, compared with to the others, we still could provide about 40% of area for "green infrastructure", I think Hong Kong could be defined as a green city.

Of course, it is only part of the reason why I think it is a green city. Do you guys have any other suggestion?

Picture of Charis Leung
by Charis Leung - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 11:13 PM

I do agree that Hong Kong is a green city, Hong Kong is a well-developed urban city and their development in the governance of supervising and conserving the environment is high.

In European Green Leaf Award, each topic area has two issues to be evaluated and one of them is citizen participation and public awareness. To encourage citizens to participate in these sustainable activities, laws like fine for not recycling should be made in Hong Kong.

I think citizen participation is really important, take Hong Kong as an example. Even though the government conserved the environment and have policies for it. Hong Kong's pollution and food waste is still a lot. Clearly, not only the government need to put effort into it, the citizens should take it seriously too. But in this situation, citizens can't keep up with the government when it comes to being environmentally friendly. We need more environmentally friendly facilities, like WEEE Park. I think being environmentally friendly is a lifestyle and the government should have more facilities like that located around Hong Kong and localize them so that citizens could truly experience and embrace this as a culture. The government should really put effort into having many more facilities that promote a sustainable lifestyle so that people won't feel foreign with it.

Picture of Muskan Nayyar
by Muskan Nayyar - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 2:24 AM

Water is essential for the very survival of all living beings. It is all the more necessary to get safe and clean drinking water. So I think that water quality is an important parameter for judging.

Here is a link to a survey conducted few years back that determine the top 10 countries with the cleanest water.

http://www.oceanhealthindex.org/news/Top_10_Clean_Water_Countries

Picture of Muskan Nayyar
by Muskan Nayyar - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 3:29 AM

Monitoring water quality in the 21st century is a growing challenge because of the large number of chemicals used in our everyday lives and in commerce that can make their way into our waters. Methods of chemical analysis and knowledge of chemical toxicity are available for only a few thousand of the more than 80,000 chemical compounds estimated by EPA to be in commercial use in the United States.

This is what makes water quality more important.

Here is a link that talks more about water pollution.

https://www.water-pollution.org.uk/dangers-of-water-pollution/

Picture of Muskan Nayyar
Group 10
by Muskan Nayyar - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 3:47 AM

Another criteria can be the air quality index. These hazardous air pollutants are deadly and pose health risks even if inhaled in small quantities. 

Dioxins, more typically found in food but also present in small amounts in the air, can affect the liver in the short term and harm the immune, nervous, and endocrine systems, as well as reproductive functions.

PAHs, are toxic components of traffic exhaust and wildfire smoke. In large amounts, they have been linked to eye and lung irritation, blood and liver issues.

So, it is again an important criteria to determine 'how green a city is'

For a more detailed list of the most and least polluted countires of the world, click here

Picture of Kiya Dadlani
by Kiya Dadlani - Saturday, 25 April 2020, 9:00 PM

Hi! Hope you all are fine and doing well in these trying times. Speaking of criteria to judge a green city we do not have any particular universal standards for judging a city green as such, but a lot of ranking systems compare them on the basis of impact of environment on  citizens given the density of population in urban cities. The few parameters which I would like to discuss are:

(a)    RENEWABLE ENERGY AND RECYCLING IT :

In today’s testing times where lot of gadgets are present to aid working of mankind, judicious consumption of energy is very important . We therefore need to have sources of energies which can be replenished such as use of solar energy and generation of energy from waste materials, such as  compost. So for me it is important to see how a city is using sources of energy and if it has a mechanism in place for use of eco friendly energy and how does it recycle the same. Also recycling of solid waste is important to this parameter.             

Picture of Kiya Dadlani
by Kiya Dadlani - Saturday, 25 April 2020, 9:11 PM

(b)    PUBLIC TRANSPORT SYSTEM :

A green city should have a sustainable transport system . The system should be sustainable in the sense of its impact on climate, environment and social causes. Constant improvement in fuel efficiency and reduction in vehicular emission norms need to be monitored. Upgrading to low carbon transport options are critical to this evaluation.

Picture of Kiya Dadlani
by Kiya Dadlani - Saturday, 25 April 2020, 9:21 PM

(c)   SANITATION : 

In view of multiplication of Urban cities rate at fast pace (it is 3% in Asia currently) it is important to have good sanitation facilities in green cities. In dense and congested cities like ours poor sanitation is like a time bomb ticking away. On social level, good sanitation facilities also help control epidemics. Access to toilets, good hygienic conditions, help in improving living conditions. Better urban sanitation unquestionably contribute to environment protection, through reduction in pollution of soil and groundwater.

Picture of Ryan Yiu
by Ryan Yiu - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 9:17 PM

Transportation

It is important to improve roadside air quality and reduce carbon emissions. 

Motor vehicles are the main source of our roadside air pollution and they also contribute about 18% of local greenhouse gas emissions. The transport sector (including road and marine transport) is the second-largest air pollution source in Hong Kong, accounting for about 37% of the local respirable suspended particulates and nitrogen oxides each and 6% of sulphur dioxide.

Picture of Ryan Yiu
by Ryan Yiu - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 9:20 PM

Education (about environmental protection)

Education and lifelong learning are essential components of everyday city life so that urban communities can create sustainable and harmonious societies that embody the principles of social justice, ecological resilience, economic productivity, political participation, and cultural vibrancy.

Picture of Gambali Chaitanya
by Gambali Chaitanya - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 10:29 PM

Hello Ryan,

Educating people is indeed important, however, you must understand, that even though many people are educated in environmental sciences, none of them make any changes in their lifestyle, for them, it is probably just another lesson that has to be memorized. Most Importantly, it is the mindset that needs to change. People must respect the earth and respect nature. With respect comes mutual understanding, and when man is at one with nature , he will be at peace (and alive, because global warming could then be avoided :D )

Also, check out this amazing documentary by DiCaprio

Picture of Ryan Yiu
by Ryan Yiu - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 11:44 PM

Hi Gambali!,

Thank you for replying my criteria. Yes, I totally agree with you that it may become a heavy burden for students. (you know, the education system in some area is... they will force the students to memorise the information)

But think in a positive way, if we can educating in a fun way, for example, teaching them how to recycle, how to reuse a plastic bottle into a pen holder... it will be fun!

In hong kong, the government creates a mascot to educate us not to waste food. it is called " The big waster". It is cute and it can educate ppl! How useful is it!

Also, thank you for your recommendation!

Picture of Charis Leung
by Charis Leung - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 12:12 PM

I do think that advertisements are crucial and it is a much easier way to approach the public, especially the younger generation. Other than advertisements, I think governance is also quite important. Governance transparency and effectiveness need to be high too. Most importantly, how they cooperate with other countries and non-profit organizations in their city. To widen the eco-friendly actions and advertisements. Getting information from other more developed countries could be a great help and a source of inspiration and information. Leading to a  win-win situation bu exchanging sources. Non-profit organizations could be helpful by deepening and localize these policies and make them happen. It would be a lot for the government to seal with too detailed actions and operation. 

Picture of Charis Leung
by Charis Leung - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 12:22 PM

Long term planning should also be in consideration, we need to know whether the city has plans or goals that they are working on and strive to achieve. Continuity of a city is really important, it is needed for the government to be a good leader, putting definiteness of purpose to work, so that the citizens will follow. They should have a long term goal so that in the future people would still understand and continue this journey. It takes years to achieve such a goal and we shall not give up easily. A very slow process, but it will be rewarding in the end. Changes will not be seen in the short-term period, therefore consistency is needed.