Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN

Group 13

Picture of Arth Trivedy
Group 13
by Arth Trivedy - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 1:43 AM

Hi everyone,

Has anyone thought about the different criteria for judging a GrUEn?

Reply with your suggestions

Thanks.

Picture of Arth Trivedy
Re: Group 13
by Arth Trivedy - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 1:49 AM

I will suggest that you read the given resources well, as they are helpful.

We can put up our ideas on the forum and finally shortlist them for the final list of criteria

Regards

~Arth

Picture of Abhinav Chaudhary
by Abhinav Chaudhary - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 4:28 PM

Hello Everyone,

I would suggest that by reading the instructions given above we can start the discussion and decide criteria for judging today only as today is the last date for the submission

Regards

Abhinav

by Abhinav Chaudhary - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 4:36 PM

I would suggest that one of the criteria should be sustainability. 

The city can be judged by how sustainably the people act and how sustainably they use their resources. Sustainable use of resources is very important for the city to be GRUEN. Sustainable use of resources helps the city to be clean and green. 

Thus, I think that one of the criteria for judging the city GRUEN must be sustainability. 

What do you think Group #13 members? Please reply and give your valuable suggestions and other criteria.

Picture of Arth Trivedy
by Arth Trivedy - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 4:41 PM

And I agree to your point, Abhinav

Maybe when we justify our different criteria or indicators we can imbibe the principles of sustainability

Picture of Arth Trivedy
by Arth Trivedy - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 4:39 PM

Let's keep the following points in mind:

1. Energy usage
  2. Economy
  3. Environment
  4. HRD
  5. Social life

by Abhinav Chaudhary - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 4:45 PM

These are related to EU objectives only. 

Shouldn't we add some new criteria for judgement that are innovative and different?

Picture of Arth Trivedy
by Arth Trivedy - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 4:46 PM

Surely 

Why not

Picture of Arth Trivedy
by Arth Trivedy - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 4:46 PM

I suggest we divide our criteria under these heads:

• Economic indicators
  • Social Indicators
  • Environmental Indicators

PS:

I think we should lay much emphasis on ecological factors and environmental parameters, as the project's name is Green per se.

Picture of Arth Trivedy
by Arth Trivedy - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 4:53 PM

We should start with the economic Indicators

by Abhinav Chaudhary - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 5:03 PM

Do we need to give a reason why are we choosing it

Picture of Arth Trivedy
by Arth Trivedy - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 5:08 PM

Yes you do

Picture of Arth Trivedy
by Arth Trivedy - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 5:08 PM

This can be one:

Eco-friendly economy:

Today's economic growth has taken a heavy toll on the environment. Industries have fallen short in being eco-friendly. They cause air, noise and water pollution. In the name of construction and economic expansion forests are being slashed and bio-diversity ruined. Waste produced has no efficient disposal, and in the end increases filth and soil pollution. The very pillars of our economy stand on means of commute that are polluting the air and fiddling with proportions of CO2. Unless the functions, mechanisms and systems, on which are economy survives are made sustainable, there is no place for calling that city GREEN.

Picture of Arth Trivedy
by Arth Trivedy - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 5:10 PM

Suggest more

We should hurry

by Abhinav Chaudhary - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 5:34 PM

The one which I suggested sustainability with reason 

Please refer to that 

Can we add it first?

Picture of Brant Knützen
means of commuting
by Brant Knützen - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 12:55 PM

Hi Arth,

I agree that commuting to work is a pillar of the economy.

Post-coronavirus, perhaps a much larger percentage of the white-collar workforce can telecommute to work?

For minimizing the commute of the hands-on workers, check out TOD: transit oriented design.

Brant

Picture of Arth Trivedy
Re: means of commuting
by Arth Trivedy - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 10:11 PM

Without doubt, Mr. Brant

Post-coronavirus several companies will surely resort to the work-from-home culture. For them, further incentive to carry this on would be infrastructural cuts in ther budgets and reduction in employee services, that they may have had provided for commute and at-office workstyle. 

And for us, the aspirers of a green furure, it will be a harbinger for cleaner air and cleaner lungs. 

But amidst this we can't overlook the fact that a substantial proportion of the population relies on the transport sector and other related industries for livelihood. 

So change has to be brought but with a pace that it encompasses the welfare of all groups. Surely a change like this would be enormous, and beneficial,  but it has to be brought with keeping in mind the interests of all

Picture of Brant Knützen
by Brant Knützen - Wednesday, 15 April 2020, 9:44 AM

Hi Arth,

Did you get a chance to check out that TOD link?

What did you think about Transit Oriented Development?

Will it help reduce the environmental impact of the commute of hands-on (blue collar) workers?

Brant

Picture of Arth Trivedy
by Arth Trivedy - Wednesday, 15 April 2020, 12:14 PM

Hello Mr Brant,

I went through the reading on TOD that you mentioned,

And I think, the TOD framework, if applied to our cities, will definitely be an ingenious way of tackling the environmental problems posed by the use of private vehicles.

Not only white-collar workers, but many others too can be relieved from the chronic pain of traffic and driving.

In my city (New Delhi) hunderds thousands use public transport, as it makes commute much easier and much cheaper.

But there is one menacing problem (through my lens, of course). Several well-to-do families look down upon public transit and think that it is for the plebs, the not-well-to-do ones. They will use gas-guzzlers, and multiple vehicles for transport, than make use of the more efficient, greener means of transport. 

And I think it's our duty to sensitise them, to caution them.

~Arth

Picture of tanishq rathore
by tanishq rathore - Wednesday, 15 April 2020, 2:30 PM

We should judge green cities by ensuring that they have 30% green area in them and not much deforestation is done there and it keeps it environment balanced

by Abhinav Chaudhary - Friday, 1 May 2020, 10:41 PM

According to me, the following criteria are required to judge a green city:

1. Socio-Economic: Socio-Economic Factors is one of the most important criteria. Socio-economic indicators affect health, education and even the environment of a place. Socio-economic groups a being riskier to environmental hazards are thus important criteria.

2.CO2 and Energy: The carbon dioxide is the greenhouse gas which is the major cause of the pollution the environment. The factories emit CO2 and the city in which the level of CO2 gas is high are more prone to be a riskier and less green city. Moreover, the conservation of energy and in which state, how the energy is consumed and what are the alternatives of the regular energy is also important. Thus the efficiency of the energy also plays a major role in judging a green city.

Picture of Arth Trivedy
by Arth Trivedy - Friday, 1 May 2020, 10:44 PM

We should go with the following criteria as time is less and there are discussions pending too:

1. ECONOMIC ECO-FRIENDLINESS
  2. TRANSPORTATION
  3. BIODIVERSITY
  4. AIR, WATER & LAND QUALITY
  5. WASTE MANAGEMENT
  6. DEVELOPMENTAL DESIGN
  7. SUSTAINABILITY OF ENERGY AND RESOURCE USAGE
  8. GREEN INNOVATION
by Abhinav Chaudhary - Friday, 1 May 2020, 10:48 PM

Also, I think that the factors like

Afforestation( planting of more trees) that gives more green land is also an important factor for judging a green city. M ore green land, greener, will be the city.

Land being a limited resource should also be used efficiently. The land should not be wasted or degraded by human activities. Rather, the land should be efficiently used. Thus sustainable use of land is important

Transport handling and more use of public transport is also important. Vehicles emit harmful gasses like CO2 which degrade the environment. Thus judging a green city transport should also be a factor

by Abhinav Chaudhary - Friday, 1 May 2020, 10:55 PM

Most importantly, 

Air Quality of the city should be evaluated, the air quality shows how the health and lifestyle of the people is and how people are living. A city with low air quality cannot be called green. Air is the most important factor of the above. I would ask Mr Brant that what does he think about it.

Sustainable use of resources: The sustainable use of resources is very important as I think that availability of resources depends on how we use it. At this time, when there is a shortage of most of the resources like groundwater, I believe that sustainable and mindful consumption of resources is very important and is the feed of the hour.

Now, I would like to think that do he also believe that these two factors are the most important ones.

Picture of tanishq rathore
by tanishq rathore - Wednesday, 15 April 2020, 2:28 PM

We should judge green cities by ensuring that they have 30% green area in them and not much deforestation is done there and it keeps it environment balanced

Picture of Kasak Jain
by Kasak Jain - Wednesday, 6 May 2020, 2:25 AM

hello! I believe I am late for suggesting the criteria for judgement and I apologize for the same. I agree with Arth's criteria but I believe we should consider how economical growth and sustainability go hand in hand. 
Picture of Kasak Jain
by Kasak Jain - Thursday, 7 May 2020, 7:27 PM

hey guys! have we decided on a criteria yet? could you fill me in on that in order to start research!