Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN

Group 30

Snapchat-204083907.jpg
Group 30
by Navya Jain - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 8:32 PM

Hey my fellow mates of Group#30!!
Let's discuss our criterias over here!! You can give 2-3 criterias of your own,so that we can develop a list of criterias for judging the green urban environment..
I think we all can also connect through whatsapp or zoom and discuss our opinions there!! Will soon try to send a link of whatsapp group if you all agree.
Waiting for your replies!! Hope to connect soon
Regards
Navya
Picture of Ipshita Ranjan
Re: Group 30
by Ipshita Ranjan - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 10:19 PM

Hi there.. working on the criterions.. will soon be up with some of them..

hope to connect soon..

Till then take care!

Ipshita

by Ipshita Ranjan - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 2:12 PM

Heya there everyone! 

Hope y'all are doing good and keeping safe..

Ok..so there are many quantitative and qualitative indicators  or criterias to judge a GRUEN and each of those factors have their own importance. But yes if I would be asked what criterias I think are important ..I would go with some of the following:-

1) WASTE MANAGEMENT

This in my opinion is an essential aspect for a green city. Proper waste disposal is critical due to the fact that certain types of wastes can be hazardous and can contaminate the environment if not handled properly. These types of waste also have the potential to cause disease or get into water supplies. This affects not only the environment but also the health of the people. This includes the Frequent and adequate collection of litter and recycling, followed by appropriate disposal.

2) GREEN AREAS

What this means is that there should be green spaces in the cities like green belts in frequent areas and there should be strict prohibitive measures regarding the cleanliness and maintenance of  of the same. This will help ensure that there is balance between the infrastructural development and environmental development.

3) PUBLIC TRANSPORT

This includes the availability, accessibility, and affordability of public transport to the people. This will automatically help in reducing the amount of air pollutants and pollution by idling vehicles. This leads to a city's lower per capita carbon footprint.

Out of all the factors..I think these are on which I'll pay more emphasis.

Hope to see your criterias too.

Ipshita

by Ipshita Ranjan - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 2:23 PM

Also guys there had been some network issues at my place and hence I could not post the criterias timely. My sincere apologies for that. But to the other group members I would like to say that I request you to be a little active on this forum as the group tasks cannot be done by 1 or 2 individuals. We are a group and hence we should make our discussions interactive. Hope y'all will understand.

Regards 

Ipshita

Picture of Aditi Yadav
by Aditi Yadav - Monday, 20 April 2020, 12:53 PM

HI IPSHITA!!!

I totally agree with two criterias that you have mentioned.

Proper waste disposal is indeed very important.

secondly as you said green areas, they will reduce the pollution levels and promote health and well being not only of the environment but of humans as well.

but the last one..i.e. public transport, it is good but in my opinion it is not compulsary because if we use e-fuels then even personal vehicles are not trouble causing.

Regards 

Aditi

by Ipshita Ranjan - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 2:25 PM

Hi Aditi !

I just thought about the public transport thing in my opinion was significant .. obviously everyone has different views..well we'll obviously choose the most important criterias taking some from each one of us..thank you for the feedback..and your criterias as well are important ..

Alright then I think finalizing the criterias is what we should get going with..quickly

Regards

Ipshita

Snapchat-204083907.jpg
by Navya Jain - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 2:33 PM

Hi ipshita!!

I agree with you. I think waste management is very important for judging a GRUEN city so we should definitely take this as one of our final criteria. and maybe we can take green areas and air pollution quality as the others. wish to see others opinion as well.

so let's just discuss and then post it in our forums..

Regards 

Navya Jain

Snapchat-204083907.jpg
by Navya Jain - Wednesday, 22 April 2020, 1:39 AM

HI EVERYONE!! SORRY FOR SO LATE REPLIES. ACTUALLY I'M HAVING SOME INTERNET CONNECTION PROBLEM IN MY AREA SO I WAS FINDING DIFFICULT TO UPLOAD MY CRITERIAS.

BELOW I HAVE WRITTEN SOME OF THE CRITERIAS WHICH I THINK ARE IMPORTANT FOR JUDGING A GREEN CITY. 

WASTE MANAGEMENT :

CITIES SHOULD ACTIVELY REUSE AND RECYCLE THEIR CITY WASTE RATHER THAN DUMPING IT IN LANDFILLS. IN THIS WAY, WE CAN REDUCE THE DEPLETION OF RESOURCES AND ALSO KEEP THE LAND POLLUTION-FREE.

PROPER SAFETY MEASURES AND WASTE DISPOSAL METHODS MAKE FOR A CLEANER, SAFER WORLD WITH LESS DISEASES AND LOWER POTENTIAL HARM TO BOTH HUMANS AND ANIMALS. WHEN DONE RIGHT, WASTE MANAGEMENT CAN ALSO CONSERVE ENERGY AND REDUCE DANGEROUS DEFORESTATION INCLUDING CUTTING DOWN LESS TREES FOR PAPER PRODUCTION.

THE EVER GROWING R'S ARE THE BASIS OF MANAGEMENT. THEY INCLUDE REUSE, REDUCE, RECYCLE, REFUSE, REPURPOSE AND RECOVER.

BLUE IS THE NEW GREEN :

WATER IS ANOTHER IMPORTANT CRITERIA FOR JUDGING A GREEN CITY AS WATER RESOURCE ISSUES INTERACT WITH A WIDE RANGE OF SOCIO-ECONOMIC AND ENVIRONMENTAL SECTOR, INCLUDING HEALTH, AGRICULTURE, ENERGY, BIODIVERSITY, INDUSTRY AND NAVIGATION.

THIS SECTOR IS ALSO A PARTICUALR CONCERN BEACUSE MANY CITIES AROUND THE WORLD ARE ALREADY FACING SIGNIFICANT WATER STRESSES DUE TO COMPETING DEMANDS, POLLUTION OF SURFACE WATER, AND OVER EXPLOITATION OF GROUND WATER RESOURCES.

POLICIES :

IT IS A MUST FOR CITIES TO HAVE INTRODUCED APPROPRIATE POLICIES IN FAVOUR OF REJUVENATING, SUPPORTING AND PRESERVING THE ENVIRONMENT.

THE POLICIES OF A GREEN CITY SHOULD BE ONES THAT PROMOTE IMPROVEMEMNT OF THE ENVIRONMENT. THINGS LIKE CARBON TAXES, EXPANSION OF GREEN SOURCES OF INCOME, AND INCREASING PUBLIC AWARENESS, FUNDING OF RESEARCH OF UPCOMING GREEN TECHNOLOGIES ARE FEW EXAMPLES  OF PRO-ENVIRONMENTAL POLICIES.

THERE ARE MORE CRITERIAS WHICH CAN BE USED TO JUDGE LIKE PERSON TO TREE RATIO, AIR QUALITY, ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT AND ETC. ETC.

REGARDS

NAVYA JAIN

Picture of Priya Gupta
by Priya Gupta - Thursday, 30 April 2020, 7:07 PM

Hi everyone this is PRIYA GUPTA FROM GROUP 30 .

I have seen one of you suggesting air quality index for pollution index as one of criteria  for judging a  green city.

I myself think that it should be one of the major criteria.

The Air Quality Health Index provides a number from 1 to 10+ to indicate the level of health risk associated with local air quality. On occasion, when the amount of air pollution is abnormally high, the number may exceed 10. The AQHI provides a local air quality current value as well as a local air quality maximums forecast for today, tonight, and tomorrow, and provides associated health advice

12345678910+
Risk:Low (1–3)Moderate (4–6)High (7–10)Very high (above 10)
It is indeed very important for a country to have lower pollution or air quality index. As I live in delhi and and I've seen delhi becoming one of the highest polluter country in the world ,trust me it wasn't easy when were bound to stay at home for day just to control rising pollution levels.

So i think to make a country clean and green , the air which is very important element in nature must remain clean..

Picture of Priya Gupta
by Priya Gupta - Friday, 1 May 2020, 6:13 PM

Hi everyone this is priya gupta 

I think for judging a green city BIODIVERSITYS  plays a big and important role .

The variety of life on Earth, its biological diversity is commonly referred to as biodiversity.

The number of species of plants, animals, and microorganisms, the enormous diversity of genes in these species, the different ecosystems on the planet, such as deserts, rainforests and coral reefs are all part of a biologically diverse Earth.

biodiversity boosts ecosystem productivity where each species, no matter how small, all have an important role to play.

A healthy biodiversity offers many natural services

A healthy biodiversity provides a number of natural services for everyone:

• Ecosystem services, such as
    • Protection of water resources
    • Soils formation and protection
    • Nutrient storage and recycling
    • Pollution breakdown and absorption
    • Contribution to climate stabilitySo think having a healthy biodiversity engance the beauty of a city inside and outside

Picture of Priya Gupta
by Priya Gupta - Friday, 1 May 2020, 6:19 PM

Hi I hope you all liked my suggestions ..

Thank You all .

Please feel free to correct me or advice me for my work .

Picture of Aditi Yadav
by Aditi Yadav - Friday, 1 May 2020, 7:21 PM

hello everyone 

although you all have already covered up everything let me share my criteria as well.The list of criteria can be endless, however some of them which i think are important are listed below:

whatever the criteria we follow, all of them are aimed at improving the quality of air and water.

1.healthy water and air:the quality of air and water directly impacts our health. It can become one of the important criteria. How much good policies a particular nation or city has adopted, their value lies in their outcome.

CO2 emission levels also comes under this.

2.green spaces: a minimum green density should be present in a particular city in order to be green, eg like 30sq. kms per 1000 sq. kms should be green.we can add ipshita's point over here.

3.Renewable energy sources: it is an important factor, we must know how much percentage of energy is produced by what all sources. A city which gets most of its energy from renewable sources can be considered green.

4. as ipshita and navya already said waste management is also an important criteria because if the wates generated are not properly disposed they can lead to contamination of our biodiversity and will deteriorate its quality.

Picture of Aditi Yadav
by Aditi Yadav - Friday, 1 May 2020, 7:28 PM

i know whatever the criteria i have posted are not the final list so my mistakes and incorrect opinions will be pardoned.

but hey when are we compiling all of them up and making the final list ? 

some of the groups are already done.

and am legit sorry for the last response.

i think now in a few days we can do it. Right???

what you all feel....??

Picture of Aditi Yadav
by Aditi Yadav - Friday, 1 May 2020, 7:40 PM

hey everyone!!!

which city we are doing ?

lets quickly finalize it and start with our research work

Snapchat-204083907.jpg
by Navya Jain - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 2:24 PM

Hi aditi!! 

As you know we need to make a pair of two members so ipshita nd I are making the pair. we were waiting for the replies but no one else was giving any replies so we had started our research. But no worries you can pair with priya gupta as she has made a new discussion topic on the city new delhi recently and i think she won't be having any problem in pairing up with you.

I hope you understand.

Regards

Navya

Snapchat-204083907.jpg
by Navya Jain - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 1:57 PM

hey aditi!! 

today is the last day for the completion of evaluation of our city project so if you this msg today you r surely welcomed to our team and our city is indore and ipshita and i will be completinng it by today. hope you see the msg.

And for the next activity priya and you are invited to our team. 

Hope you see this msg on time..

Regards

Navya and Ipshita

by Ipshita Ranjan - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 2:51 PM

Alright mates.. I think we somewhat have the same ideas..

And our criterias are repeated and thus the final list of criterias will include all of ours.. so I think there should be no problem regarding the same.

Snapchat-204083907.jpg
by Navya Jain - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 2:56 PM

HI EVERYONE!!

AFTER SEEING THE CRITERIAS GIVEN BY OTHER MEMBERS I THINK THAT THE CRITERIAS BELOW SHOULD BE  INCLUDED IN OUR FINAL LIST OF CRITERIAS USED FOR JUDGING A GREEN CITY.

1. WASTE MANAGEMENT 

2. GREEN AREAS/SPACES

3. POLICIES ( policies for the implemetation of proper maintenance of our environment are also considerably important.)

I THINK YOU ALL WOULD AGREE WITH THIS.

REGARDS

NAVYA

by Ipshita Ranjan - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 2:59 PM

Yes I agree..

Also some of the other qualities :

1) Air quality

2) Water quality

These are of top importance and preference by all of us..

Snapchat-204083907.jpg
by Navya Jain - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 3:06 PM

SO NOW OUR LIST OF FINAL CRITERIAS IS READY!!

AND HERE IT IS:

1. WASTE MANAGEMENT

2.GREEN AREAS/SPACES

3 .WATER ( it will include rainwater harvesting, water conservation methods and etc, etc.)

4. AIR QUALITY

5 .POLICIES

HOPE YOU ALL AGREE AND WORK ACCORDING TO IT!! 

by Ipshita Ranjan - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 3:08 PM

Yes..agreed.

by Ipshita Ranjan - Saturday, 2 May 2020, 3:29 PM

I hope this list is agreeable to all of us and now we can start with the evaluation of the cities that we choose ahead. All the best all of you!

Ipshita

Picture of Aditi Yadav
by Aditi Yadav - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 3:14 PM

Ya I agree!!!

Picture of Aditi Yadav
by Aditi Yadav - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 3:15 PM

So we three r in the same  team ???

by Ipshita Ranjan - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 4:07 PM

All the best for your research! And thank you for joining!!

by Ipshita Ranjan - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 4:05 PM

Alright then Aditi! 

As I was looking at our final list of criterias I later thought that renewable energy resources as well play a significant role..so I think we should add this one as well. I and Navya already divided the topics..now that you too are in... What we can do is that I am researching on the criteria green spaces and policies..Navya is doing waste management and water related research..and we had thought of doing air quality topic mutually..so you can take up your research on air quality/pollution and renewable resources..

I hope that'll be fair enough? 

Ipshita

Picture of Aditi Yadav
by Aditi Yadav - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 5:16 PM

thanks Ipshita!!!

Picture of Aditi Yadav
by Aditi Yadav - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 5:19 PM

i will be doing renewable energy sources and air quality

Picture of Aditi Yadav
by Aditi Yadav - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 6:01 PM

can i do policies in place of any of the 2 topics you have assigned to me ??

i have already done it..i mean mostly....if you don't have any problem.

just see the forum please

Picture of Priya Gupta
by Priya Gupta - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 10:28 PM

Hi guys this is priya . 

And navya please allot me a topic as well.

And please let me know the city we are evaluating so that i can equally contribute in this project .please Lee t me know as soon as possible.

Regards !!