Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN

Group 24

Picture of Aaditya Thukral
Group 24
by Aaditya Thukral - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 7:57 PM

Hey everyone! We can start discussing our criteria here. Try to include at least 2-3 criteria with each message. Provide feedback if possible

Picture of Arnav Tandon
Sustainable Urban Mobility as a criterion
by Arnav Tandon - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 9:55 PM

Criterion: Sustainable Urban Mobility

This includes two components:

(i)               The fuel used for transport : A city could be judged on the basis of whether the various fuels used by the majority of the vehicles are renewable or non-renewable. In a sustainable city, most vehicles would use renewable fuels.

(ii)             The number of vehicles per person: Lesser number of vehicles per person would indicate that many people use bicycles/public transport for their daily needs, which are more sustainable transport options. (note that number of vehicles per person would be close to or less than 1 in most cases, so we can also use “number of vehicles per thousand persons” as a criterion instead). We could also use this statistic to compare different cities on a quantitative basis.

Picture of vasu madan
Re: Sustainable Urban Mobility as a criterion
by vasu madan - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 5:52 AM

Thats a great input !!

Picture of Arnav Tandon
Waste as a criterion to judge sustainable cities
by Arnav Tandon - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 10:25 PM

Criterion: Waste

Another way to judge a sustainable city is to look at how much waste goes into landfills or is exported (countries such as the US export large amounts of plastic wastes to Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, Turkey, and Vietnam). A sustainable city would have waste management systems in place to deal with the large quantity of waste that cities generate. In a sustainable city, the quantity of waste that goes into landfills or is exported would be very less (or none).

Picture of Bulbul Pareek
Re: Group 24
by Bulbul Pareek - Thursday, 16 April 2020, 12:23 AM

Hey there! I think the criteria of judging a city’s performance is complex work and therefore should be different city to city. The basic metrics, obviously, will be the same, but the weightage can be different based on the city’s economic situation, climatic condition, etc. On top of that, there is always a debate about how developed regions have the moral responsibility to help other, less developing regions to build better, more sustainable economies (we can have a discussion on that!) we could include the capacity/contribution of larger cities in developing smaller cities as one of the criteria
Picture of vasu madan
by vasu madan - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 5:53 AM

Yes agreed !!

Picture of Bulbul Pareek
by Bulbul Pareek - Thursday, 16 April 2020, 12:26 AM

I see that we are not available to discuss this as a team, how about we create a whatsapp group so that we can communicate better and faster? please let me know asap ! 

:)

Picture of Arnav Tandon
WhatsApp Group
by Arnav Tandon - Thursday, 16 April 2020, 1:38 AM

Hi Bulbul,

I think it'd be better if you create a WhatsApp group and send us the joining link through e-mail (our e-mail ID's are given on our user profiles).

Picture of Bhavya Patodi
by Bhavya Patodi - Friday, 17 April 2020, 2:27 AM

Hallo! 

Ok so there can be several criteria to judge how green or sustainable a city is varying from efficient governance to average individual carbon footprint. We can categorise different criteria under broad headings e.g. – Sustainable Mobility/ Green Transport can include Public Transport Facilities, Non-Motorized Transport etc. It is important that we also include Socio-Economic indicators for example- per capita GDP, unemployment rate, total population and annual population growth. Some of the criteria that I think should be included to judge the sustainability level of a city are:

Criteria 1 - Energy Optimization and Management

This can include

Use of renewable energy - both in individual households and city level production. It can show the use of clean energy production sources e.g. in my state a huge portion of industrial energy is produced via solar and wind farms.

Energy consumption - It can be calculated separately for individual household and industrial use or an aggregate can be divided by the city’s population.

Criteria 2 – Quality Of Life

This includes

Air Quality - ambient air quality level - can be quantified by calculating PM10 and other particulate matter in the air.

Availability of Green Spaces - All publicly accessible green areas.

Criteria 3 - Sanitation

This can include 

Share of waste water treated - Share of total population including sewerage and improved on-site sources excluding all public sources in %

Share of waste water treated - Share of total waste water produced receiving at least primary treatment in %

I have some more indicators that we can discuss but like @bulbul said It will be easier to discuss on a whatsapp group and prepare a list there than here. 

Picture of Bulbul Pareek
by Bulbul Pareek - Tuesday, 21 April 2020, 11:28 PM

hi! i was thinking about something similar. How about we dissect the water criteria, because the presence of industries in most cities largely impacts their water consumption. so it might be possible that cities with lower water wasteage would still rank high if they have large industrial density. the upside of it is that it would be helpful in suggesting specific policies.

Picture of Bhavya Patodi
Re: Group 24 Whatsapp Group Link
by Bhavya Patodi - Friday, 17 April 2020, 2:33 AM

Ok so guyz I just created a whatsapp group and iam sharing the link here.

https://chat.whatsapp.com/FvgCojTX2m3I4iYj2SKCFU

Please join the group as soon as possible so tht we can discuss and create a final list and can start working on the next task.

!!!!

Picture of Aaditya Thukral
Provision of basic human needs as a criterion
by Aaditya Thukral - Friday, 17 April 2020, 11:59 AM

Criterion: Provision of basic human needs by cities

Sustainable development can be defined as development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Hence it is evident that provision of basic human needs is a major factor in measuring the sustainability of a city as it ensures that the needs of the present are met.

Luckily for us, a system of judging cities on this basis is already in place. The Economic Intelligence Unit ranks different cities all over the world on the basis of their liveability on a scale of 0-100 based on 30 indicators, grouped in five categories: stability (25%); healthcare (20%); culture and environment (25%); education (10%); and infrastructure (20%). This gives us information on whether the basic needs are being met in these cities.

Picture of Bhavya Patodi
Re: Provision of basic human needs as a criterion
by Bhavya Patodi - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 12:03 PM

Yes it is surely important to keep in mind the present liveability of the city. The social structure, the facilities present there, the environment, everything. We need our cities to grow economically and sustainabilly at the same time. It is important that our measures for present  economic growth donot sacrifice our environment. 

Picture of Marta Iglesias Gil
by Marta Iglesias Gil - Friday, 17 April 2020, 7:52 PM

Hello everyone, i´m Marta from group 5.
In my opinion the most important criteria  about green cities are: 

-Sustainable urban mobility: This one i think is quite important due to the vehicles produce a lot of CO2 so, we can reduce it, using the public transport, even it could be very uselful for the young people that want to hang out with friends and go anywhere in the city.

-Air quality: I think that we can all agree that this one is the most important, because if the air is contaminated it can produce diseases that could reduce the life expectancy of the country

-Water: Also we can all agree that this one is very important due to is what we drink every day and if the water is not drinkable, What are we supposed to drink?

Picture of Bulbul Pareek
by Bulbul Pareek - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 12:53 AM

hello everyone! 

we are done with jaipur city evaluation. how about you guys? please reply with a yes or no asap so we all can move to the next phase

Picture of Hansika Sharma
WATER
by Hansika Sharma - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 11:50 PM

WATER

CITIZEN PARTICIPATION AND PUBLIC AWARENESS

There’s nothing more essential to life on Earth than water. Amazing progress has been made in making clean drinking water accessible to 2.6 billion people in developing countries from 1990 to 2015. That’s an increase from 76% of the global population to 91% during that time. Yet there are still many opportunities to multiply the benefits of clean water through improved sanitation and hygiene education.

CURRENT SITUATION AND STRATEGIC APPROACH

Globally, 844 million people lack access to clean water. Without clean, easily accessible water, families and communities are locked in poverty for generations. Children drop out of school and parents struggle to make a living.

Women and children are worst affected — children because they are more vulnerable to diseases of dirty water and women and girls because they often bear the burden of carrying water for their families for an estimated 200 million hours each day.In 2015: About 2.6 billion people have gained access to clean water in last 25 years, and about 1.4 billion gained basic access to sanitation since 2000.

2018: Worldwide, 2.1 billion people still live without safe drinking water in their homes and more than 892 million people still have no choice but to defecate outside.

Water conservation has turned into an essential practice in every part of the world, even in regions where water appears to be enough.