by Manasa Bangaru - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 7:31 PM

Hello everyone,

Let's develop our criteria here!

Picture of Manasa Bangaru
Re: Group 26
by Manasa Bangaru - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 8:24 PM

Hello!

Out of the 3 criteria, the ones which attracted me the most are:-

1. Asian Green City Index: The Asian Green City Index includes 29 indicators across 8 categories to divide cities into 5 performance bands. It surely gives a better view on how green cities are.
  2. European Green Capital Award: It includes 12 indicators and gives a good idea of the green urban environment in the city.  
The European Green Leaf Award is also quite good but, I think that the other two give a more intricate information.

Please feel free to give your ideas and also to contradict mine.

Picture of Brant Knützen
criteria
by Brant Knützen - Wednesday, 15 April 2020, 2:07 AM

Hi Manasa,

Looking at the criteria on those awards, which criteria do you think are the most useful for evaluating how green a city is?

For example, you could select Sustainable Urban Mobility and Waste and Circular Economy.

Write a sentence or two about each criteria you select to explain why you think they are important.

Brant

Re: criteria
by Manasa Bangaru - Wednesday, 15 April 2020, 2:58 PM

I think the following criteria should make up to the final list:-

1. nature and biodiversity- the biodiversity of a city is one of the most important indicator of a healthy green environment.
  2. air quality- the better the air quality of a city is, the better the health of people living in the city would be and so would the flora and fauna in the city.
please give your opinions on the same
Picture of Ritika Nainwaya
by Ritika Nainwaya - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 12:31 AM

The Criteria for judging a GRUEN from my side are:

1)   WATER:

It is a very important substance on earth. Clean and sufficient water is most important requirement of a human being.The clean water bed and green environment  for sufficient rain is one of the most important requirements of a GRUEN

2)   Sustainable Land Use

Sustainable Land Use is the management of the natural environment and the built environmentto conserve the resources that help to sustain the current local human population and that of future generations.Justifiable and sustainable distribution of land use will help to build the green environment .

by Ritika Nainwaya - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 12:33 AM

One more criteria from my side 

3) Energy performance: The energy performance is defined as the amount of energy actually consumed (or estimated to be necessary) to meet the different needs associated with a standard use of the building including heating/cooling, lighting and provision of hot water

Energy consumption is rapidly rising, owing to the increase in demand due to technological advances, population, modernization & economic development
by Manasa Bangaru - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 12:35 AM

Yeah! I am apprehensive about the same

by Manasa Bangaru - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 12:38 AM

I hope others will reply soon so that we can proceed with the list

by Ritika Nainwaya - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 12:40 AM

Hi Manasa,

I liked the criteria given by you.

Please give your opinions on mine criteria.So that we can make the final list as the new task is approaching.

by Manasa Bangaru - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 12:49 AM

Yeah! As I have said, I think that all the criteria we chose are worthy to be on the final list.

by Manasa Bangaru - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 12:56 AM

So for now there are 5 criteria for identifying a green city. They are as follows:-

1. Water quality
  2. Air quality
  3. Nature and biodiversity
  4. Sustainable land use
  5. Energy consumption

by Manasa Bangaru - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 12:58 AM

I think we should wait for others to give their views till tomorrow 5pm or we can finalise the list. What do you think?

Picture of Shreyansh Tiwari
by Shreyansh Tiwari - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 2:21 AM

I think CFC level is a good criteria we can take this its a good point.

by Shreyansh Tiwari - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 2:20 AM

)Population density-is the number of individuals per unit geographic area, for example, number per square meter, per hectare, or per square kilometer. This variable affects a number of other population variables.

2) CFC levels-Once in the atmosphere, CFCs drift slowly upward to the stratosphere, where they are broken up by ultraviolet radiation, releasing chlorine atoms, which are able to destroy ozone molecules. ... When sunlight returns in the spring, the chlorine begins to destroy ozone.

by Shreyansh Tiwari - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 2:25 AM

2)Sanitation- refers to public health conditions related to clean drinking water and adequate treatment and disposal of human excreta and sewage. Preventing human contact with feces is part of sanitation, as is hand washing with soap.

by Manasa Bangaru - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 8:25 PM

Hi,

I think all criteria are worthy of being a part of the list. However the list must contain limited number of criterion so as to make the evaluation easy. So I request all group members to give suggestions on how many and which criteria should be on the final list. Also, so that no member feels neglected, we should include at least one criteria given by them. 

by Shreyansh Tiwari - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 11:50 PM

Ya good decision ....so from my side ill go for CFC levels.other group members to please select at least 1 criteria which one they want to go for. 

by Manasa Bangaru - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 5:35 PM

hello,

I would like to add nature and biodiversity as if the nature and biodiversity is healthy, it itself indicates that the air quality of that city is good to some extent.

I request other members to also add one criteria to the list as soon as possible, since we also have to proceed to the next part. 

by Manasa Bangaru - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 5:41 PM

Also, if need arises (i.e. if no other members respond), we would have to take 2 criteria from each member who responses and create a list of 6-8 criterion. Please suggest your views on the same. I do not mean to offend any inactive member, but seeing the time and the fact that delaying the formation of the list would stack up other task, this becomes necessary.

Picture of Ishita Deodhar
by Ishita Deodhar - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 7:01 PM

Hey! Sorry for the late reply. 

So I believe, the topics included both in the European Green Leaf award and The European Green Capital award are important and crucial. So we can narrow down to few important criteria which we all agree to. 

And can we form a group on WhatsApp or any other platform where we can interact more easily and quickly? 

by Manasa Bangaru - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 7:26 PM

Hi Ishita,

Please suggest any one criteria which would make its way to the final list. Also, if you want a whatsapp group, you can make one and send us the link so that we can join.

by Ritika Nainwaya - Monday, 20 April 2020, 12:08 AM

From my side I will go for Water Quality.

by Manasa Bangaru - Monday, 20 April 2020, 1:08 AM

So now we have 3 criteria:-

1. CFC levels
  2. Nature and Biodiversity
  3. Water quality
I hope we get more criteria till tomorrow evening.
by Ishita Deodhar - Tuesday, 21 April 2020, 2:42 PM

I believe sustainable urban mobility is a criteria which should be in the final list. 

Sustainable urban mobility basically requires a mind shift: where transport in private cars and trucking give way to different modes of public transport. Like bicycle and pedestrian lanes, electric vehicles, car sharing. Therefore we can say that sustainable urban mobility contributes to lowering of carbon levels in the environment. 

A sustainable urban mobility plan ensures a variety of sustainable transport options for the safe, healthy and fluid passage of people and goods, with all due consideration for fellow residents and the urban environment. 

by Ishita Deodhar - Monday, 20 April 2020, 5:40 PM

Please join to the whatsApp group through this link so that we can interact more easily and quickly:

https://chat.whatsapp.com/J9p7nmxAqxGE64CdzTRWrO

by Manasa Bangaru - Tuesday, 21 April 2020, 12:43 AM

I don't think everyone has joined the group. If one does not want to join the group, it is fine. He or she can send their opinion to both group and forum. But I urge to do your part quickly as we also have to proceed further. Hope everyone would understand

by Manasa Bangaru - Tuesday, 21 April 2020, 8:38 PM

Hello,

this is for all those members who have not joined the group. We have successfully formulated the list with 7 criteria:

1. CFC level
  2. water quality
  3. nature and biodiversity
  4. climate change
  5. sustainable urban mobility 
  6. air quality
  7. sustainable land use.
Picture of Divyajot Singh
by Divyajot Singh - Wednesday, 22 April 2020, 2:41 PM

Sorry for not being available for the previous weeks. I was stuck in a whole lot of work. I studied all the discussions and I think that the criteria mentioned above are suitable but I think that we should go for a larger number if criteria and towards a more specific approach. Apart from that I also think that we must include several other topics such as industry, noise and others. I will shortly send a list for the topics I have shortlisted for it. 

Also, I think we need to finalise the different parameters under which we will judge our city like the public initiative and the government initiative one. 

Regards, 

Divyajot Singh

by Divyajot Singh - Wednesday, 22 April 2020, 2:49 PM

The criterion I would suggest for adding in the list is the sustainability of industries and factories. 

I think it is an important criterion to accomodate in our list. Since industries and factories are a main cause of most problems in a non-green city. 

Regard

Divyajot Singh

by Divyajot Singh - Wednesday, 22 April 2020, 4:07 PM

As we already have decided our main parameters, we are looking forward to get suggestions on the subheads on which we will grade our cities. For example: public initiative, government initiative, past situation etc. You are all welcome to post your suggestions regarding the same.

The same can be given on the WhatsApp group. 

Regards 

Divyajot Singh

by Divyajot Singh - Wednesday, 22 April 2020, 4:38 PM

For the sub criterias, I recommend the following:-

a)public awareness: along with other factors, I feel that public       awareness is one of the most important aspects in determining     how green a city is. Since other initiatives can only work with public cooperation which comes with public awareness. 

b)progression towards being a greener city: it is important since initiative matters more than the result. Most cities in India are not green but many are trying so I found it necessary to add. 

I will shortly suggest more potential topics. 

Regards

Divyajot Singh