Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN

Group 6

Picture of Jeremy Zein
Group 6
by Jeremy Zein - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 5:43 PM

Hey groupmates! Let's develop our criteria here!

The first criterion I think is important is the Waste and Circular Economy. This is because a circular economy would allow for less waste and a more sustainable city.

The next criterion I think is important is Sustainable Land Use. This is because I think it is important for land to be used efficiently to be able to support more wildlife and overall make the world a greener place. 

Looking forward to reading your opinions!

Picture of Solomon Lam
Re: Group 6
by Solomon Lam - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 6:53 PM

On the point of waste and circular economy, wouldn't that reduce the benefits of globalization and specialization? If every city has to do (almost) everything itself, then there is a very limited number of places that it can be located, given it needs to have access to food, energy, land, etc. Not saying you're wrong, if fact I agree with the point of circular economy, but you have to consider how to evaluate based on geography and other factors.

Picture of Brant Knützen
circular economy
by Brant Knützen - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 8:31 AM

I agree, Solomon, that it is difficult for a city to achieve a totally circular economy, given the disparities inherent with various geographical locations and access to varying levels of resources.

Should cities strive to achieve total self-sufficiency?

Can cities MINIMIZE their resource dependence on other cities, states, or at the national level?

How can cities stop "bleeding away" their waste by shipping it off to other countries?   Can they subsidize the development or operation of recycling centers to make it cost effective?

Brant

Picture of Soumya Pant
Judge a GRUEN city.
by Soumya Pant - Friday, 24 April 2020, 12:49 AM

Hi everyone,

My criteria for judging a GRUEN city is:

Air Pollution Index- This is very important criteria as a city with less air pollution can only be a  GRUEN city. The cities which are less polluted are likely to have good checks and controls over their industries, vehicles, and other pollution causing factors which can't be completely denied but their use could be optimized.

Plastic products- The city having less plastic products will have less toxicity in air, water and soil. As we know plastic can't be easily disposed and so cities having less use of  plastic are considered to be healthy or more green.

Picture of Jeeval Chadha
by Jeeval Chadha - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 4:43 PM

Greetings!

I am Jeeval Chadha from group 23. In my opinion, circular economy is a better and practical way to tackle the emerging resource crisis. The prime objective of a circular economy is to produce goods and services in a sustainable way, limiting the consumption and waste of resources as well as production of waste. It,therefore,provides opportunity to fundamentally address how we can create value in our economies and minimise the liabilities that they create.Thus, a circular economy will not only reduce the pressure on natural resources but also, in a way, boost the economy.

Picture of Rocío Romera González
by Rocío Romera González - Friday, 17 April 2020, 12:46 AM

Hello groupmates!!

I want to talk about 2 criterias that I think are very important but we don't usually think about them:

• Noise Quality: the noise quality affects us more than what we think , is like we know that in a place there are a lot of noise but at the same time it doesn't matter. The problem is that the noise really matters because is affect our head and environment. So for finish I think that we should be concerned about noise pollution and find a solution for it.
  • Nature and Biodiversity: this criteria each time is more considered but is not considered enough, because I think that one of the most importants things about a city is how its protect his biodiversity and nature. The biodiversity of our planet is something very special and completely irreplaceable so we have to take care of it. 
Picture of Sara Garofalo Sancho
by Sara Garofalo Sancho - Friday, 17 April 2020, 3:16 PM

Rocío, I totally agree with you that these criterias are really important but not considered enough.

by Sara Garofalo Sancho - Friday, 17 April 2020, 12:51 AM

Hello groupmates!!!

I think a important criteria is air quality because it's one of the most important things in our lives. In the UK 24000 people die prematurely as a result of air pollution. So i think Europe should make sure that cars, vans, trucks, trains, planes, ships and construction machines are as clean as possible, not only during type approval, but also in real life.

Another criteria I think is important is Sustainable Urban Mobility because it would help the air quality. Sustainable modes of transport can often also be more convenient than private car travel. Making the streets safe for everyone, irrespective of their mode of travel increases urban accessibility and contributes to a higher quality of life.

by Rocío Romera González - Friday, 17 April 2020, 3:25 PM

Hello Sara!!

I totally agree with your criterias and the number of persons of the UK is horrible.

by Rocío Romera González - Friday, 17 April 2020, 3:30 PM

Hello Jeremy!!

I like your ideas a lot and I think that there are a very good ideas, but I also agree with Solomon and Brant. I think that is difficult to put in use your ideas.

by Sara Garofalo Sancho - Friday, 17 April 2020, 3:32 PM

Jeremy, I agree with you but I think that it isn't easy to achieve a circular economy.

by Rocío Romera González - Friday, 17 April 2020, 3:43 PM

Hello teammates!!

This is the link for enter in the WhatsApp group: https://chat.whatsapp.com/D9uIQBvsCPnGdsv7KXl7r2

Picture of Kadence Wong
by Kadence Wong - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 9:21 PM

Hi everyone!

Sorry for being a bit late, but I want to suggest two criteria I think is important but sometimes pushed aside by other categories.

• Education -  It is essential to educate the public through education programs, advertising campaigns (to raise awareness) and other methods in a strategic and in-depth way so everyone can understand the importance of a 'circular', sustainable economy. Over time, by addressing these issues, we can change how people perceive value (especially in the younger generations ) so they can learn to limit their consumption and waste as well as how to reuse.
  • Green Growth and Eco-innovation - Governments can encourage businesses, scientists, students and others (through financial aid, support and education) to develop new technologies/facilities that are more environmentally friendly/resource-efficient, reducing resource dependence.

Picture of Navvya Rahate
by Navvya Rahate - Sunday, 26 April 2020, 10:31 PM

Hello everyone, 

Here are my criteria for judging a GRUEN city:

MAINTENANCE OF PUBLIC AREAS: It is important for a city to take care of the already built projects rather than creating a lot of projects and not maintaining it. A city must look after the Public Interest, assuring that the public places are well maintained.

AIR QUALITY: Just like few other members suggested, Air Quality Index is very important for a Gruen city. Keeping in mind, the current situation, the air quality index of many cities, especially Delhi, considered one of the most polluted city, showed a significant improvement in the quality of air. Cleaner the air, greener the city, healthier the people.

I liked all of the proposals of the fellow teammates and I hope my suggestions would also help. ;)

Thanks.

Picture of Navvya Rahate
by Navvya Rahate - Friday, 1 May 2020, 12:04 AM

Also, I think Education and Air Quality are a must.

Picture of Navvya Rahate
by Navvya Rahate - Friday, 1 May 2020, 12:10 AM

I also agree with Soumya, regarding plastic products.