Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN

Group 40

Picture of Gambali Chaitanya
Group 40
by Gambali Chaitanya - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 3:58 PM

Greetings to my teammates!

This will be our area for group discussion. I request all of you to propose at least 3 criteria and to actively provide feedback on each other's posts. We shall try using the forum for our discussions, however, if it is not convenient, we may shift to another medium, which can be decided later. I am sure that we will have a very fruitful discussion! Good luck!

Re: Group 40
by Gambali Chaitanya - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 4:24 PM

Here are three criteria I feel are critical to the judgement.

I will split them into three posts to avoid congestion.

Criteria #1:

Waste Management and a Circular Economy

The human economy is linear. We take, we make, and we throw. It is a ridiculously wasteful and polluting process and  very unsuitable, given the fact that ours is a planet with finite resources. A circular economy is based on the principles of designing out waste and pollution, keeping products and materials in use, and regenerating natural systems(More Info).

The transition to a circular economy will definitely be a gargantuan task for sure, but not impossible.

The component that we can most easily adopt right now is that of sustainable waste management. Cities generate huge amounts of rubbish every day, and how we deal with it is a crucial judging factor in my opinion. The following points can be used for evaluation:

1. Does the city have a garbage separation system in place? (For example, In Germany, there i an elaborate colour coded system for throwing and in situ sorting of garbage that really helps to reduce waste and recycle as much as possible)
  2. What recycling practices are in place?(For example, In the Germany, there is an industry funded system for recovering and recycling packaging materials. This is an excellent example of community awareness and a good recycling framework)
  3. Eliminating the toxic practice of landfilling. Cities must try to avoid using landfills for waste disposal. Existing landfills must be secured appropriately or more preferably, used in waste to energy plants.
  4. E-Waste Handling: In today's digital age, these criteria will be of paramount importance as we are generating more e waste than ever before. If not properly handled, it can cause leaching of harmful contaminants into the environment. Dedicated E-Waste recycling and disposal centres should be set up.
I would be happy to receive feedback and suggestion on this.

Thanks and Regards,

Chaitanya Gambali

Picture of Brant Knützen
designing a path to achieving a circular economy
by Brant Knützen - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 9:11 AM

Hi Chaitanya,

That's an excellent post about waste management and a circular economy!

Solomon over in Group 4 is also proposing something similar, perhaps you could post over there to help him work out a plan for achieving a circular economy in his GRUEN design?

Brant

by Gambali Chaitanya - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 11:28 PM

Criteria #2

Carbon Footprint

Another crucial parameter would be the carbon footprint of our city. Cities account for only 2% of the earth's landmass, yet contribute to more than 70% of the world's carbon footprint. It's also mainly the cities that bear the brunt of Climate Change. Coastal cities like Jakarta are already at high risk of being submerged. Therefore, it is only fitting that cities actively curb and manage their carbon emissions. The following factors come into play:

• Development and shift to public transport
  • Shift to sustainable energy
  • Sustainable transport
  • Availability of renewable energy for heating/cooling
  • Sustainable construction practices
  • Dietary patterns(Meat based diets have a very heavy carbon footprint)

PS(Teammates, please fill out this form :

https://forms.gle/ApPw6iAnmZTAYYbW9)

Picture of Solomon Lam
by Solomon Lam - Wednesday, 22 April 2020, 9:04 PM

I completely agree with your point on carbon footprint, but perhaps that could be expanded? Carbon dioxide levels are one measurement, yet others such as nitrogen oxides, suphuric oxides and ozone are equally important in measuring different types of pollution. You mentioned sustainable energy, which I do find fascinating, because there is much controversy on whether that is 'green washing'. I highly encourage you to check out a documentary available on youtube called

, which I believe covers this.

by Gambali Chaitanya - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 1:19 PM

Hello Solomon,

I agree with you about expanding my point on carbon footprint. Gases other than carbon dioxide, like oxides of sulphur and nitrogen are also big pollutants and contributors to industrial smogs in cities like beijing. Methane emissions can also be taken into account as they are much more potent greenhouse gases.

Also, the documentary was very informative, thank you!!

Picture of Solomon Lam
by Solomon Lam - Wednesday, 22 April 2020, 9:07 PM

You mention it by land area, yet I am curious about population. I believe around just under half of the world's population resides in cities. Considering that, in some cases it is more efficient to live in dense cities. When taking into account that those who live in cities are generally more wealthy and thus consume more than their rural counterparts, it makes you think: even though urbaners consumer more (and thus pollute more), per unit of final goods and services, it may actually be less in cities than in the countryside. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

by Gambali Chaitanya - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 1:33 PM

My point about land area was just a figure to give a sense of scale, to emphasize, that majority of the world lives in rural areas, yet the people living in cities, due to their disregard to the environment, decide the fate of the planet.

I live in India, and I can guarantee that people here in cities waste much more resources than the ones living in the countryside. The traditional indian culture teaches us to be at one with nature and there are a lot of traditional resource conservation practices.

For example, the khadin system has been used in the indian state of Rajasthan for many years. A majority of Rajasthan is covered by the Thar desert. Despite that, for generations, people have managed to satisfy their water need via such conservation practices

Check this out for more such practices

by Gambali Chaitanya - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 11:40 PM

Criterion#3

Management, Preservation and Adequacy of Natural Capital

The refers to the following points:

• Good quality of Air and Water
  • Presence of biodiversity and green capital, such as parks, wetlands, ponds, etc. These provide essential natural services like purifying air and water and replenishing nutrients, etc.
  • Presence of natural capital is not only important from an ecological point of view, but also provides an indirect economic stimulus. A good climate and good living conditions attract businesses which generate revenue for the city, which in turn further help to improve the city, creating a virtuous cycle. The Indian city of Bangalore would be an excellent case in point.

Please post your criteria ASAP, so we have enough time for discussion

Thanks and Regards,

Chaitanya Gambali

Picture of tanishq rathore
by tanishq rathore - Thursday, 30 April 2020, 3:04 PM

hi guys in my thinking a green city should have the following-

• A green city should adapt  climate changes
  • mitigate the urban heat island effect by bringing its  inner-city temperatures down
  • create healthier ecosystems
  • become a water-sensitive city
  • engage and involve the community to make these objectives possible .
    Regards,

Tanishq

Picture of tanishq rathore
by tanishq rathore - Thursday, 30 April 2020, 3:04 PM

hi guys in my thinking a green city should have the following-

• A green city should adapt  climate changes
  • mitigate the urban heat island effect by bringing its  inner-city temperatures down
  • create healthier ecosystems
  • become a water-sensitive city
  • engage and involve the community to make these objectives possible .
    Regards,

Tanishq