Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN

Group 25

Picture of Jiya Gulyani
Group 25
by Jiya Gulyani - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 3:44 PM

Dear friends

Let's start our discussion about judging the criteria for green urban environment. We can converse via watsapp or Gmail whichever is comfortable. 

Regards

Jiya Gulyani

Picture of Jiya Gulyani
Re: Group 25
by Jiya Gulyani - Friday, 10 April 2020, 2:43 PM

Hi..

In my view these are the 2  criterias which are crucial for judging a GRUEN.

1. Better and eco friendly technology

Use of better technology to harness renewable resources like solar energy.This will reduce dependence on fossil fuels,reduce CO2 emissions and reduce air pollution.Future of any city or for that matter any country will depend on how effectively it can use renewable sources of energy like solar power.Also better technology for waste management ,sanitation and creating awareness amongst the people.More aware are the people ,easier it would be for government to implement eco friendly and sustainable policies.

Picture of Jiya Gulyani
by Jiya Gulyani - Friday, 10 April 2020, 3:07 PM

2.Nature, Biodiversity and sustainable land use

With efficient land use if more area is brought under green cover,it will result in low level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and increase in oxygen levels.It will also reduce problems like flooding and the air quality will also improve. This will also help a city become sustainable without damaging the environment.

If we preserve our natural environment and biodiversity, it will help to maintain ecological balance. Apart from economic benefits , there are other benefits like prevention of soil erosion , cooling, asthenic benefits, etc . If we preserve the biodiversity then only these natural assets will be available for our future generation also.

Friends you are open to give suggestions and please let me know about your opinion:)

Regards 

Jiya Gulyani

Picture of Vaishnavi V. Sisodia
by Vaishnavi V. Sisodia - Wednesday, 15 April 2020, 1:47 AM

Hey... I am in group 23 and I totally agree with you.

Picture of Shashank Agarwal
by Shashank Agarwal - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 1:36 PM

Hello,

I agrees with jiya and i m comfortable with both whatsapp or gmail ....so, everybody please tell us with which platform you all are comfortable so we can look after it .... 

Thanks

Picture of Parul Varandani
criteria for judging green urban environment
by Parul Varandani - Monday, 13 April 2020, 1:07 AM

Greetings,

The most noteworthy feature of Environment Action Programme is its eminent focus on increasing efficiency in all ways possible, be it turning waste into a resource or calls for indicators and targets for resource efficiency to be established or environmental technologies and services with special emphasis on its implementation.

I strongly believe that people are the nexus of any project. They are the ones who will play the most significant role in nurturing a sustainable, environment-friendly society. We need to reach out to people, spread awareness of the nearing environmental crisis and introduce to them green technologies because it is the people who need to refrain from using private transport, stop polluting the environment and adopt solar energy. The spirit of saving our mother nature should be ingrained in the people rather than it being forced upon them by governments. Therefore, I call for assessing the culture, communal habits and a common man's take on the environment as an important criterion besides the factors like technology, economy, etc. to give a people-centric approach to the project

Regards,

Parul Varandani

Picture of Jiya Gulyani
by Jiya Gulyani - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 1:46 AM

Greetings everyone!

Urban mobility is one of the major contributor to pollution and PM levels.If cities are developed in such a manner that there is minimal traveling then both emissions from vehicles and noise pollution will decrease.If one could walk or cycle to his workplace, this will save fuel ,reduce the time and money spent on travelling. If offices ,schools,markets are near to once residence then it would be a sustainable city. Use of battery operated or solar driven  cars could also make urban mobility sustainable.

Looking forward to your views on different gruen criterias and feel free to comment or give your suggestions regarding same.

Regards 

Jiya Gulyani

Picture of Brant Knützen
Urban mobility
by Brant Knützen - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 12:43 PM

Hello Jiya,

I agree that urban mobility is a key factor in green urban development.

Have you heard of TOD, or transit oriented design?

Check it out here, see if it could help you achieve your goals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit-oriented_development

Here's another, more commercial source: http://www.tod.org/

Brant

Picture of Khushi Garg
Re: criteria for judging green urban environment
by Khushi Garg - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 11:19 PM

Greetings!! I'm khushi garg, and here is my criteria which i've chosen *sustainable urban mobility*.

So first of all, a question arises that what is sustainable urban mobility? A simple answer to it is- low carbon emission mobility or use the vehicles which can make our city more sustainable and developed due to less air pollution and can minimise the percentage of carbon dioxide the environment. Hence, sustainable urban mobility can reduce global warming too.

○Urban mobility is one of the toughest challenges that cities face today as existing mobility systems are close to breakdown because they cause heavy traffics, air pollution, CO2 etc. The world's population is increasingly city-based. 53% of the population currently lives in urban areas and by 2050 this number is expected to reach 67%.

○But making an urban area sustainable in the field of transportation is also important. We can achieve this by:

a) following the sustainable urban mobility plan- A Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan is a strategic plan designed to satisfy the transportation needs of people and businesses in cities for making their lives as well as cities better.  

b)  "ecological" transportation means (e.g., walking or biking if you want to travel for shorter distance) and public transportation to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

c) By car pooling- it can reduce traffic problems which mainly India is facing.

d) using electrical vehicles instead of vehicles of petrol, diesel etc.

e) using mobility Systems- they are robots aimed at transporting over variable distance payload. In the context of planetary applications the following classes of Mobility Systems can be used: 1.Rovers
2.Hoppers
3.Aerobots
4.Subsurface robots
5.Underwater robots

○In November 2019, Elon Musk’s Boring Company started work in Las vegas on a project for its first paying customers: an underground transportation system that will carry passengers via compatible Autonomous Electric Vehicles less than a mile from one end of the convention center to the other.

I hope you like this information on this criteria:)
Regards,
Khushi garg

Picture of Poorvi Agarwal
Re: criteria for judging green urban environment
by Poorvi Agarwal - Thursday, 18 June 2020, 1:50 AM

Ohhh that's a good idea I totally agree with you. 
by Shashank Agarwal - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 2:41 AM

Hello,

Here is my criteria for judging the GRUEN.

waste and circular economy 

Waste management and recycling -  By reducing waste through recycling and composting programs, the lifespan of existing landfills will be extended and the need and costs of creating new landfills will be reduced. Another important benefit of recycling is that it reduces the need for virgin resources. The two main kinds of potential for waste have been identified:

1.Turning waste into a resource - only around 1/3 was recycled and the rest incinerated or landfilled. Estimated additional potential for reuse / recycling is up to 600 million tons. If this material is lost then growth, job creation and competitiveness will be compromised and negative environmental impacts generated. The main objective is to recycle more in order to have more „waste“ which can be used as a resource. Recycling is a pre-condition for the circular economy.

2.Waste as a source of energy: When waste cannot be recycled then the potential energy it contains should be recovered in all its forms through; biogas, anaerobic digestion and waste-derived fuels.

Sustainable land management
by Shashank Agarwal - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 2:59 AM

Hello, 

My second criteria for judging GRUEN is :

Sustainable land management 

It opens up major opportunities for both the environment and the people who depend on it. SLM enables farmers to intensify existing land more sustainably, enhancing productivity without degrading land resources. It also ensures improved management of agro-ecosystem services across production systems, reduces pressure on natural resources and helps improve and sustain economic productivity and environmental sustainability.

Re: Sustainable land management
by Poorvi Agarwal - Monday, 20 April 2020, 10:03 AM

So here is my criteria,due to some technical problem I have to post it like a screenshot.

Re: Sustainable land management
by Poorvi Agarwal - Monday, 20 April 2020, 10:04 AM

Another part of my criteria. 

Picture of Khushi Garg
Re: education
by Khushi Garg - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 10:27 PM

Education is also an important criterion which leads to sustainable development. As more and more people are educated the more we can save our planet because it helps to generate a sense of participation and care about our lives. As our life is closely related to environment, we must save it so as to save our lives.. The more people contribute to the criterion of sustainable societies the more we can save resources hence, education leads to the social aspect of sustainable development in essence,  participation. 

According to UNESCO,

in today’s fast-changing world, where social, economic and political norms are constantly being reshaped, people also need to re-evaluate and refresh their learning continuously throughout their lives. Lifelong learning can be a critical resource in supporting individuals and communities to achieve sustainable social and economic advancement. This was recognized by the United Nations in SDG 4 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which enjoins Member States to ensure ‘inclusive and equitable quality education and to promote lifelong learning opportunities for all’.

Khushi

by Parul Varandani - Wednesday, 10 June 2020, 4:31 PM

Totally agreed Khushi!Education of masses is indeed pivotal to spread awareness on climate change etc
by Parul Varandani - Wednesday, 10 June 2020, 4:34 PM

To sum up:

Group 25 s criteria are:

• Air quality and noise
  • Biodiversity
  • Education
  • Proficiency in Governance, Technology and Transport
  • Society and a common man's take on the environment
  • Sustainable land management
  • Sustainable Urban mobility