Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN

Group 20

Picture of Ishaan Khosla
Group 20
by Ishaan Khosla - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 5:45 AM

Greetings,

I am Ishaan Khosla,  I connect to you in these uncertain times and I hope you're safe and healthy. This project has given us a great initiative to utilise our time well. Let us connect through this website and develop our criteria. I personally feel that we will be able to connect better via the Moodle app or any other communication platforms like zoom and WhatsApp but it's entirely up to the team to decide it. Please hit the reply button and tell which social platform you're comfortable with as soon possible. For me, I think WhatsApp will be a great way to connect. I'll be here to read your replies.

Stay healthy stay safe and stay positive,

Regards,

Ishaan Khosla

Vivek High School 

Chandigarh

Picture of Rishika Sharda
Re: Group 20
by Rishika Sharda - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 3:23 PM

Greetings

I also feel that we can discuss this project via whattsapp. It will be easier. I hope you all look in this matter and revert back. 

Hope you all are doing good. Stay safe. 

Regards

Rishika

dang i love the lighting conditions in my room
by Advit Garg - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 7:33 PM

Ok let’s make a whatsapp group and also a google doc to note down discussed criteria but I don’t think zoom is required, I think they have made adobe connect things for each group 

Picture of Ishaan Khosla
by Ishaan Khosla - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 7:48 PM

Yeah k 
Picture of Ishaan Khosla
by Ishaan Khosla - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 7:55 PM

Yeah that sounds great I can make a WhatsApp grp and pls make a Google doc after that.. personally text me your no. I have received Rishika's No. on direct messages..

Picture of manya sethi
by manya sethi - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 8:20 PM

Good evening 

Yes I think we should talk via WhatsApp this way we can talk and get to know about each other too. 

Ishaan you create the group and add everyone. Let’s try to make this group by tomorrow at least.

by Advit Garg - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 11:47 PM

So u people want to do a video call thing tomorrow at ... lets say 10 in the morning 

Proposerd criterias
by Advit Garg - Friday, 10 April 2020, 5:08 PM

My proposed judging criteria are as follows:-

Net carbon gain: upon tracing the amount of carbon released in the city vs the amount of carbon removed from the air from objects in the city, if there is a net carbon gain then the city cannot be called a green city as it will be causing damage to the environment.

Policies: the policies of a green city should be ones that promote improvement of the environment. Things like carbon taxes,expansion of green sources of income , and increasing public awareness, funding of research of upcoming green technologies are a few examples of pro-environment policies.

Pollutants and pollution: in a green city it is essential that there is low pollution(of air,water noise,light etc.) and that the food,water and air people live with and consume don't have pollutants. 

Resource efficiency: We all know that resources are limited. The way they are used today, they are bound to run out. A green city should have a circular economy which can be reached via measures like resource efficient industries, recycling of all recyclable waste, proper biodegradation of all biodegradable matter, 100% sewage treatment etc.

Picture of Brant Knützen
Re: Proposed criterias
by Brant Knützen - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 8:43 AM

Hi Advit,

I agree about 100% sewage treatment, as it is a key element of waste recycling.

Over in Group 4, Solomon has proposed that a city should be "self sufficient" as a term to describe a 100% circular economy.

What do you think?

Also, as I messaged you, your group Adobe Connect room is located at:

https://gruen.adobeconnect.com/team20/

You should all be able to speak, and see each other using your webcams.

I'd like you to be able to share your desktops, but perhaps you could at least share links in the typed Chat to look at various web pages, pictures, etc.

Let me know if you try it, and how it goes!

Brant

by Advit Garg - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 11:19 AM

Ooo Solomon brought in covid as well

And thank u for the addobe connect link

by Advit Garg - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 11:35 AM

I think the idea of self sufficiency of a city is good but it’s not practical. For example a city with let’s say.. less cultivable land will not be able to produce enough food. I mean they can treat soil and stuff but that won’t be suitable for all crops which have to be brought from other cities. Or let’s say it’s a mineral deficient area. They may have good soil for cultivation but may lack minerals like iron which may have to be brought in from other cities. I think that the world as a whole can be self sufficient but smaller units of it like cities will need help

Picture of Ishaan Khosla
Re: Proposerd criterias
by Ishaan Khosla - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 3:18 PM

What policies do you plan to carry out for preventing pollutants to contaminate food water and air?

by Rishika Sharda - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 3:54 PM

How do you plan to carry out the policies you decide for ensuring that the food, air and water we consume have no pollutants, Advit?

by Advit Garg - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 4:05 PM

Organic farming can be promoted to provide good food. Decarbonisation by switching to electric mode of transportation, electric stoves and renewable sources of energy can improve the air. By not disposing factory waste in water and making factories more efficient we can work further towards the cause. With 100% sewage treatment and increasing public awareness regarding what to let down the drain we can have clean water. Heavy fines on harming waterbodies could help too. A city which lacks these will not be completly green, Rishika. 

Picture of Nidhi Rahul Kokadwar
by Nidhi Rahul Kokadwar - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 10:57 AM

The most basic judging criteria for green city would be solar power.

Solar powered cities- 

Solar cities offer a better central approach, which includes good, energy efficient construction and buildings installations leading to comfort and a good indoor climate, combined with the use of optimised energy supply systems together with a local contribution from renewable energy sources.

by Nidhi Rahul Kokadwar - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 3:20 PM

Green infrastructure or blue-green infrastructure- is a network providing solutions for urban and climatic challenges by building with nature. The main components bieng stormwater management, climate adaptation, less heat stress, more biodiversity, food production, better air quality, sustainable energy production, clean water and healthy soils, as well as the more anthropocentric functions such as increased quality of life through recreation and providing shade and shelter in and around towns and cities.

by Rishika Sharda - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 3:21 PM

The criteria devised by me for a green city is as follows:

Greenery: Extensive use of all resources - A green environment has many advantages. It has a positive effect on people's health and contributes to the quality of life in a neighbourhood. Companies like to settle in a green environment and real estate is generally more in demand, which strengthens the economic growth of a city.

Spatial planning with land compactness - The compact city is an urban planning and urban design concept, which promotes relatively high residential density with mixed land uses. It is based on an efficient public transport system and has an urban layout which – according to its advocates – encourages walking and cycling, low energy consumption and reduced pollution. A large resident population provides opportunities for social interaction as well as a feeling of safety in numbers and "eyes on the street". It is also arguably a more sustainable urban settlement type than urban sprawl because it is less dependent on the car, requiring less infrastructure provision.

Waste management and recycling -  By reducing waste through recycling and composting programs, the lifespan of existing landfills will be extended and the need and costs of creating new landfills will be reduced. Another important benefit of recycling is that it reduces the need for virgin resources. The World Bank’s recent global review of solid waste reports that 400 million tonnes of scrap metal and 175 million tonnes of paper and cardboard are recycled annually (World Bank, 2012), representing a significant savings of global natural resources. In addition, using recycled content in manufacturing new products conserves energy.

by Advit Garg - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 3:25 PM

Do u think that people will free and comfortable on a compact surrounding? Will biodiversity be safe in such a compact city? Should compact living areas not be compensated by vast farms land and huge biodiversity reserves Rishika?

by Rishika Sharda - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 3:42 PM

It will be a 2 fold. There will be compact residential areas giving space for huge recreational lands. If there are compact residential areas then people will have large areas where they could walk, excercise and enjoy the beauty of nature. 

Picture of manya sethi
by manya sethi - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 10:30 PM

We are committed to achieving sustainable development in its three dimensions economic , social and environmental. Keeping in mind the criteria for a sustainable green city I have decided the following criteria:

Psychological well being- Mental health conditions are one of the main causes of the overall disease burden worldwide, at an estimated global cost of £1.6 trillion per year. Health systems across the world have not yet responded adequately to the current burden of mental disorders, and the gap between the need for treatment and its provision is wide. There is a very important relationship between good mental health and establishment of a  sustainable society.

A person who is mentally well will help in execution of governmental policies and help in preserving ecological balance.

Sustain-ably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss

Forests cover 30 per cent of the Earth’s surface and in addition to providing food security and shelter, forests are key to combating climate change, protecting biodiversity and the homes of the indigenous population.Thirteen million hectares of forests are being lost every year while the persistent degradation of dry lands has led to the desertification of 3.6 billion hectares.

by Advit Garg - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 10:21 AM

While judging a green city, how can meantal health be measured Manya?

Picture of Gunjan Kanwar
by Gunjan Kanwar - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 1:31 PM

The criteria proposed by me consists of these points as follows:

1. Greenhouse effect:  Carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide,methane,ozone and other trace gases add to the greenhouse effect and hence leads to global warming as we know. So, monitoring could be used to know how much a city is emitting these gases and adding to the greenhouse effect. The city must have all those objectives to maintain the amount of gases to protect the environment .For eg. The 4 Rs , Carpooling.

2. Technological advancements: Technology can play an important role in helping the environment today. For example, electric cars, photovoltaic converters, environmental monitoring which is done through satellites , smarter homes and many more. This could be a criteria as it would let us know how much a city is prepared to handle the problems.

3. Framework and Execution of Policies: Forming legislations are useless if they are not executed . So both framework and Execution together would be powerful. Policies should be such that address to the problems related to pollution, wildlife protection, land conservation and that which contributes in public awareness. Public awareness plays the key role as there would be nothing if people don't know to maintain two dustbins at home , not to throw garbage anywhere , not to keep taps open ..and many more things .

Picture of Anannt Jha
by Anannt Jha - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 2:49 PM

The name green city in it self tells us that the major indicators of the city would be green .i.e maximum relation with the nature and minimum industrial and chemical influence.

1. More and more use of renewable energy and resources to prevent depletion of the renewable ones and at the same time reduce the harmful effects caused by them to the environment.

2. Reduce reuse and recycle: these are an essential part of a green and sustainable city which also helps in preventing depletion of resources. Basic examples can be reuse of non degradable materials like plastic.

3. Access to public resources is a major component in a sustainable city which also results in more happier environment and helps in social maintenance of a society or city. They are the ones which enable people to reach there max potential

4. Proper sanitation: In the midst of a pandemic, we all know the importance of the moto”prevention is better than cure”.the ideal city should be properly cleansed with proper health facilities and faculties in case there is a wide spread of a desease.

5. Control in the level of green house gases(methane,co2 etc): we cant control the level the level of these gasses in the atmosphere of a city, but reducing their emission would make a positive and significant change in the air quality of the city.

6. Balance in economy in every sector: whether its in he field of education or entertainment or sports. There should be a specific ratio according to which money should be spent on each sector. This ratio should remain same in each and every part of the city. In a society people are bound to have differences, offering them various societies would lead to development

7.    And most importantly, the city should have ambitious, well defined goals and regular reporting of progress on their goals.S

by Advit Garg - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 4:08 PM

Nidhi, what do u mean by blue-green infrastructure

by Nidhi Rahul Kokadwar - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 3:38 PM

Green infrastructure is an approach to water management that protects, restores, or mimics the natural water cycle. Green infrastructure is effective, economical, and enhances community safety and quality of life.

It means planting trees and restoring wetlands, rather than building a costly new water treatment plant. It means choosing water efficiency instead of building a new water supply dam. It means restoring floodplains instead of building taller levees.

Picture of Gunjan Kanwar
by Gunjan Kanwar - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 10:13 PM

Do you think technology would also play an important role here?

by Advit Garg - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 3:20 PM

In many areas solar is not a good a good idea. Like areas of northern Canada don’t recive sunlight from which solar energy can be harvested in an efficient manner. How will u judge such cities?

by Nidhi Rahul Kokadwar - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 3:37 PM

Your solar panels don’t need sunshine, per se, to generate electricity as much as they need direct, unobstructed access to the sun’s UV rays.

Similar to how your skin still tans when it’s overcast outside, your solar panels will still generate electricity during cloudy, rainy, or snowy days — they just won’t produce as much energy as they do during clear days.

Solar panels do not generate electricity at night since the sun’s not out. This is when staying connected to the power grid comes in handy as you’ll still have electricity.

Picture of Ishaan Khosla
by Ishaan Khosla - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 12:05 PM

Keeping in mind UN SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS and lIHS-GGCPI method index  I  have devised this criteria:

1.Efficient use of renewable sources - Renewable  energy is energy produced from sources that do not deplete or can be replenished within a human's life time. The most common examples include wind, solar, geothermal, biomass, and hydropower. Use of renewable energy in green city is of utmost importance. This is because energy generation is one of the biggest causes of pollution. Renewable energy helps in reducing carbon footprint. By adapting to renewable resources help us to be a one step closer to a green city.

2.Availability of clean water and food security_- A green city should ensure a  universal access to safe and affordable drinking water. A green city should  invest in adequate infrastructure, provide sanitation facilities and encourage hygiene at every level. Protecting and restoring water-related ecosystems such as forests, mountains, wetlands and rivers is essential if we are to mitigate water scarcity. Food security in all three dimensions-

Availability- Total food stock of the city including food imports.

Affordability- A wholesome nutritious food should be available at a low cost.

Accessibility- Food should be accessible to all.

3.Protection of ecosystems -Protecting important sites for terrestrial and freshwater biodiversity is vital for ensuring long-term and sustainable use of terrestrial and freshwater natural resources. As billions of people depend on oceans for their livelihood and food source  increased efforts and interventions should be made for a green sustainable cities.

4.Well developed health check-up system-Major progress should be made in improving the health of millions of people, increasing life expectancy, reducing maternal and child mortality and fighting against leading communicable diseases.If there is no well developed health check up system we might face many deadly diseases even lethal than the present Covid-19.

by Advit Garg - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 3:22 PM

Why do u think that good healthcare is an important criteria for judging a green city Ishaan?

Picture of Gunjan Kanwar
by Gunjan Kanwar - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 9:26 PM

I believe health is a part of a good lifestyle but is not a major criteria for judging green in my opinion . We can say green is directly proportional to health but health is not directly proportional to green.This could be included but deep down in a small part of a big heading.

Picture of Ishaan Khosla
by Ishaan Khosla - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 11:26 PM

Hi advit, yes health plays a very important role in establishing a sustainable environment and and helps in maintaining ecological balance. Health helps an individual to maximise his/her efforts to conserve natural resources. You can clearly see this today, diseases like coronavirus has forced us to stay indoors..this puts restrictions on people's efforts to conserve natural resources and promote sustainability.

Picture of Ishaan Khosla
by Ishaan Khosla - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 4:22 PM

Keeping in mind UN SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS and lIHS-GGCPI method index  I  have devised this criteria:

1. Efficient use of renewable sources - Renewable  energy is energy produced from sources that do not deplete or can be replenished within a human's life time. The most common examples include wind, solar, geothermal, biomass, and hydropower. Use of renewable energy in green city is of utmost importance. This is because energy generation is one of the biggest causes of pollution. Renewable energy helps in reducing carbon footprint. By adapting to renewable resources help us to be a one step closer to a green city.

2. _Availability of clean water and food security_ - A green city should ensure a  universal access to safe and affordable drinking water. A green city should  invest in adequate infrastructure, provide sanitation facilities and encourage hygiene at every level. Protecting and restoring water-related ecosystems such as forests, mountains, wetlands and rivers is essential if we are to mitigate water scarcity. Food security in all three dimensions-

Availability- Total food stock of the city including food imports.

Affordability- A wholesome nutritious food should be available at a low cost.

Accessibility- Food should be accessible to all.

3. _Protection of ecosystems_ -Protecting important sites for terrestrial and freshwater biodiversity is vital for ensuring long-term and sustainable use of terrestrial and freshwater natural resources. As billions of people depend on oceans for their livelihood and food source  increased efforts and interventions should be made for a green sustainable cities.

4. _Well developed health check-up system_-Major progress should be made in improving the health of millions of people, increasing life expectancy, reducing maternal and child mortality and fighting against leading communicable diseases.

If there is no well developed health check up system we might face many deadly diseases even lethal than the present Covid-19.

5.Exuction of policies- The policies in a green city should be targeted in a such a way  that it does not harm any ecosystem and harm life. For example let's talk about making a dam. Hydel power as I mentioned is a renewable resource but it is very difficult to make a dam as it can cause displacement of various communities and tribes and can also lead to deforestation but but tackling this situation with sustainable efforts will help us to maintain harmony and peace and help us promote sustainablity and greenery.

6. Education- Education also plays a very important role in the establishment of green city. Setting a  state specified curriculum,topics like sustainability greenhouse gases carbon footprints should be incorporated in the syllabus to provide the students a better understanding of what a green city means. Education will help securing the future of a green city.

This is my full criteria list..advit I'll reply to your question shortly.

by Rishika Sharda - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 8:05 PM

How will you protect ecosystems at the site of construction, Ishaan?

Picture of Ishaan Khosla
by Ishaan Khosla - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 11:27 PM

Deactivation of roads(which were made by cutting trees) to ensure that the trees are relocated and replanted will help in balancing the ecosystem to a great extent.

by Advit Garg - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 10:19 AM

And what about all the indigenous grasss and shrubs which go unnoticed. Even replanting the trees will cause loss of biodiversity Ishaan

Picture of Gunjan Kanwar
by Gunjan Kanwar - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 9:06 PM

Yes ,I think whatsapp is a great platform, as today's generation would easily be able to chat and this way we'll be able to know each other. Also whatsapp enables us to have a video conversation.

by Advit Garg - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 10:54 PM

Pm your number we’ll add u to the group

Picture of Gunjan Kanwar
by Gunjan Kanwar - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 3:21 AM

I already messaged Ishaan..

Thank you! 

Picture of Ishaan Khosla
GRUEN#20 CRITERIA LIST
by Ishaan Khosla - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 1:03 PM

GRUEN TEAM#20 

CRITERIA

1.Health Facilities:

Health plays an important role in sustainability. A healthy population can work towards a good future. A green city should have  a well developed healthcare system which will help in improving the health of millions of people, increasing life expectancy, reducing maternal and child mortality and fighting against leading communicable diseases and help us fight pandemics like the recent Coronavirus. This healthcare system should also focus on mental health as health systems across the world have not yet responded adequately to the current burden of mental disorders, and the gap between the need for treatment and its provision is wide. Many technologically advanced places, for example Japan, face huge mental  health issues. On the face of it, it seems to have no connection with a green city but in fact a person who is mentally well would help in execution of governmental policies and help in preserving ecological balance. This is something that we definitely need in a city of the FUTURE…

2.Policies

The policies of a green city should be ones that promote improvement of the environment. Things like carbon taxes,expansion of green sources of income , and increasing public awareness, funding of research of upcoming green technologies are a few examples of pro-environment policies. But we need to stay cautious as many things that look environmentally beneficial; do have harmful effects that we don't see at first, for example Dams. They provide renewable energy but it is very difficult to make a dam as it can lead to deforestation and loss of biodiversity, deposition of river carried silt and many other problems. While talking of policies, it is also important that we keep in mind that  forming legislations are useless if they are not executed.

3.Pollution free environment:

The environment of a green city should be pollution free. The air people breathe should be clean, Rivers should not look like drains, and stars should be visible in the sky. Technology plays a major role here. electric cars, photovoltaic converters, environmental monitoring which is done through satellites etc. Biodiversity needs to be protected too(refer Biodiversity protection). A green city should be one that does not lead to a net gain of environmental pollutants like  Carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide,methane,ozone etc. Meaning that their unavoidable( but reducible ) release has to be balanced out by their removal via trees, grass etc. Reduce reuse and recycle are an essential part of a green and sustainable city which also helps in reducing pollution and saving resources. 

4.Clean food and water:

A green city should have  universal access to safe and affordable drinking water. A green city should  invest in adequate infrastructure, provide sanitation facilities and encourage hygiene at every level. Protecting and restoring water-related ecosystems such as forests, mountains, wetlands and rivers is essential if we are to mitigate water scarcity. Organic farming in a scientific method would help getting food which is of good quality. This would help enhance the quality of life, help and happiness of the people and save land from degradation. A green city should make efforts in 3 dimensions of food security- Affordability, Accessibility and Availability.

5.Resource efficiency: 

We all know that resources are limited. The way they are used today, they are bound to run out. A green city should have a circular economy which can be reached via measures like resource efficient industries, recycling of all recyclable waste, proper biodegradation of all biodegradable matter, 100% sewage treatment etc. If we think, waste was once a resource which was modified into things of use that turned into waste. If we turn it into a resource, then we will have a perfectly circular economy The World Bank’s recent global review of solid waste reports that 400 million tonnes of scrap metal and 175 million tonnes of paper and cardboard are recycled annually (World Bank, 2012), representing a significant savings of global natural resources. In addition, using recycled content in manufacturing new products conserves energy.

6.Renewable sources of energy:

Renewable  energy is energy produced from sources that do not deplete or can be replenished within a human's lifetime. They ensure sustainable development by dramatically reducing the chances of  depletion of energy sources. Most of them are also non-polluting. The Most common examples include wind, solar, geothermal, biomass, and hydropower. Use of renewable energy in green cities is of utmost importance. This is because energy generation is one of the biggest causes of pollution. Renewable energy helps in reducing carbon footprint. By adapting to renewable resources helps us be one step closer to a green city. Solar energy is the most promising, it does not have many drawbacks and is economically more viable than most other renewable sources. Renewable sources of energy is one of those things, without which we cannot possibly call a city green!

7.Biodiversity protection:

Biodiversity means the variety of plant and animal life in the world or in a particular habitat. It has been seen that higher biodiversity equates to a more sustainable ecosystem. It is important to protect of terrestrial and freshwater biodiversity as it is vital for ensuring long-term sustainability.Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss, Forests cover 30 percent of the Earth’s surface and in addition to providing food security and shelter, forests are key to combating climate change, protecting biodiversity and the homes of the indigenous population. In a green city one of the main issues will be to save biodiversity in areas which are cleared to build roads, buildings etc.. when comparing cities, the one which has tackled this issue better can possibly be called a greener city. 

8.Public awareness:

Public awareness plays a key role in a green future. Till the people don't know enough and are not concerned to protect the environment, then a green future is impossible. Therefore we feel that it is important to keep public awareness as a criteria for judging a green city. Even if masses follow basic instructions like segregating waste, not using single use plastic etc. then they will make a huge positive impact towards the environment. A city with greater public awareness will be greener because the ultimate executors of ideas, plans and policies are the people themselves. It can be spread through education. Setting a  state specified curriculum,topics like sustainability greenhouse gases carbon footprints should be incorporated in the syllabus to provide the students a better understanding of what a green city means. Education will help secure the future of a green city. Not just kids but the grown ups should be fully aware about it. Measuring it via test based census can give us important data about the greenness of a city.

9.Land use management:

The infrastructure of a green city has to be such that the land is well used.As we have talked in Biodiversity protection, making houses, roads etc. requires land to be cleared, reducing biodiversity.In a green city this problem can be fought by building on less land. It would mean narrower roads and tall buildings instead of wide highways(where they are not required) and mansions. A residential skyscraper could house potentially thousands on the size of land that would have not have housed many if it was occupied by mansions or bungalows. This would allow a city to have a lot more space for protected biodiversity hotspots and natural parks.

Participants: Advit Garg, Anant Jha,Gunjan Kanwar, Ishaan Khosla,Manya Sethi,Nidhi         Rahul Kokadwar, Rishika Sharda.

Picture of Brant Knützen
Re: GRUEN #20 CRITERIA LIST
by Brant Knützen - Wednesday, 15 April 2020, 9:54 AM

Great work Ishaan and Group #20!

I think you're ready to move on to the "How Green is my City?" unit!

Please go to the Evaluate your City forum and start your discussion in your pair groups (2 to 4 people who live in the same city) about how YOUR city performs on the criteria you chose.  Each member should select 2-3 criteria to evaluate their city.  If you can do research in person, go to a facility and take pictures, gather information.  If you can't go in person, you can just do research online!

Brant

Picture of manya sethi
Re: GRUEN #20 CRITERIA LIST
by manya sethi - Tuesday, 21 April 2020, 12:20 AM

How green is my city?

The sustainable development proposal contained 17 goals with 169 targets covering a broad range of sustainable development issues. These included ending poverty and hunger, improving health and education, making cities more sustainable, combating climate change, and protecting oceans and forests. According to these 169 targets I would like to talk about the policies/schemes/initiatives Chandigarh has taken up  to achieve the following:

1. No poverty: implementation of the food security act has been successful  in Chandigarh by having an effect on over about 64623 people. The old age pensions,widow pensions and disabled pensions have helped a total of 20148 people in total. More than 12,000 families living in slum areas have already been shifted in flats built under JNNURN. Moreover, 4,960 flats have been constructed and families living in slum colonies will be shifted.

2. Zero hunger: AAY is an imitative of Red Cross Society (with initial financial support from HPCL under CSR initiative) to provide affordable food at Rs. 10. everyday around 3,500 to 4,000 packets are prepared under this initiative. Chandigarh Administration implemented the public distribution system by replacing Fair Price Shops with food subsidy.

3. Good health and well being: Chandigarh awarded with Certificate of Merit by Ministry of Health & Family Welfare for Maximum improvement in Infant Mortality Rate during the period 2015 -2016. • New hospitals are being constructed with infrastructure being upgraded in existing hospitals to improve medical facilities and Chandigarh Administration is planning a new sports injury centre having provisions like MRI, CT scan, X-ray, Ultrasound etc.

4. Quality Education: In Education Sector, Chandigarh Administration is planning to set up two more colleges along with increasing the number of seats in several existing colleges and  have built 200 Smart Classrooms in 9 Government Schools while another 200 Smart Classrooms are due for completion to impart education to students through multimedia projectors. Chandigarh Administration launched a mobile educational/rehabilitation unit for children with special needs. 

5. Reduced inequalities: To ensure safety and security of Women, Chandigarh has started a facility to make available police car to pick and drop women from any location in Chandigarh after 10:00 PM.

6. Sustainable cities and communities: Chandigarh is declared ODF city with 894 public toilets.100% habitation covered with drinking water supply.Chandigarh has been also  declared as a Kerosene Free City and 2,48,049 bbeneficiaries are receiving LPG subsidy under PAHAL.

7. Solar Installed Capacity - Chandigarh has an installed capacity of grid connected rooftop and decentralized solar plants of 24.9 MW. It is planned to increase this installed capacity to 37MW and 69MW by 2010 and 2022 respectively.• 

8. Green Cover - Green cover in Chandigarh is 41.1%. Efforts are being undertaken to increase this area further. Cycle Tracks - Under the Smart City Project, Chandigarh Administration has built 96 Kms of Cycle Track and another 70 Kms is to be completed in the next phase.

Picture of Yashika Garg
by Yashika Garg - Thursday, 16 April 2020, 12:06 AM

Hi,

I am yashika from group 23 and i truly agree with your thoughts.

Picture of Yashika Garg
by Yashika Garg - Thursday, 16 April 2020, 12:06 AM

Hi,

I am yashika from group 23 and i truly agree with your thoughts.