Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN

Brant's tips

Picture of Brant Knützen
Brant's tips
by Brant Knützen - Thursday, 9 April 2020, 1:15 AM

Nihaar wrote me recently to ask: do we have to select criteria from the award lists, or can we propose our own new ones?

My answer was this: most people select from the award lists that were defined by experts, but a few people have proposed their own.  You can propose any criteria you want, and then work with your group to develop a consensus.

Has anyone heard of Bhutan's famous "Gross National Happiness", which a previous king said was more important that Gross Domestic Product, the mainstay of capitalism?

It was defined with "four pillars" which give importance to non-economic measures of well-being, but lately it's been further broken down into 9 domains, which include:

1. Psychological well-being
  2. Health
  3. Education
  4. Time use
  5. Cultural diversity and resilience
  6. Good governance
  7. Community vitality
  8. Ecological diversity and resilience
  9. Living standards

Would a measure of community vitality help evaluate a green city?

What do YOU think?

Brant

Picture of Urja Kohli
Re: Brant's tips
by Urja Kohli - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 12:14 AM

Yes I think that a measure of community vitality plays a key role to help evaluate a green city . 

Community Vitalilty is defined as  the community's collective capacity to respond to change with an enhanced level of participation with aspirations for a healthy and productive community. 

Without a collective community effort (or rather COMMUNITY VITALITY) to promote SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT and take respective measures  , a green city can't be created. 

MOREOVER  ,If we consider education then it creates the required awareness among the people to together promote a GRUEN city . In this way all the above listed community measures are equally important for creating a green city 

Thank You 

URJA 

Picture of Jeeval Chadha
by Jeeval Chadha - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 4:55 PM

Greetings!

Community Vitality essentially means the  community’s collective capacity to respond to change with an enhanced level of participation (a process) with aspirations for a healthy and productive community (an outcome or vision of success).”

In my opinion, one of the key factors in determining the outcome of measure taken towards creating a green city is community vitality.

Community level action towards sustainable development has emerged as a key scale of intervention in the effort to address our many serious environmental issues. This is hindered by the large-scale destruction of both urban neighbourhoods and rural villages in the second half of the twentieth century. Communities, whether they are small or large, hubs of experimentation or loci of traditional techniques and methods, can be said to have a level of community vitality that acts as a site of resilience, adaptation and innovation in the face of environmental challenges.

Thanks and regards

Jeeval Chadha

Group 23

Picture of Aditi Yadav
by Aditi Yadav - Friday, 17 April 2020, 6:14 PM

community vitality is simply(as i know) strong and active participation of community.

definitely, one person cannot bring about a huge difference. we all have to do our own bit. there is a popular saying single drops together make a sea.

i think community participation and collective efforts are much more productive, not only for developing a green city but for any change that is above individual levels(i.e.community oriented)

from attaining independence to eradicating social evils it was possible because the whole society participated in it and if not, at least wanted it to happen.

hence i totally agree with Urja and Jeeval that a green city can not be created without community vitality.

it is a compulsory step which we can't skip.

but it should not be made the criterion for judging a green city.

how much productive community vitality turns out in a particular area and what levels of it are present  will determine whether a city is green or not.

a city practicing community vitality may not be green because it maybe, is in earlier stages and the outcomes are yet to be achieved.

hence in my opinion, which can be wrong as well, community vitality is a step and we should focus more on outcomes than steps. 

it is essential but we should not completely rely on it. 

(ADITI)