Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN

Group 22

This is me Chirag Gupta
Group 22
by Chirag Gupta - Wednesday, 8 April 2020, 7:55 PM

Hi guys,

To start with, let all of us decide a particular day and time when all of will be online as it seems all of us are from India. This can be done after all of us have researched something, to have a healthy discussion. So let's keep the ball rolling and please start giving your opinions (about the date and time, and of course the criteria for judging GRUEN) here.

Picture of UTKARSH RATHORE
Re: Group 22
by UTKARSH RATHORE - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 6:56 PM

Hi Chirag sorry for responding late but yeah we can communicate on any platform such as whatsapp or zoom. Please reply whatever would be suitable.

This is me Chirag Gupta
by Chirag Gupta - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 7:02 PM

Hi bro!

No problems at all.

I think we can make a WhatsApp group. But the first priority is that other members respond on the forum so that we can reach a final consensus.

by UTKARSH RATHORE - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 9:00 PM

I have talked to Aastha and Shruti who would be responding soon. Can you please give your whatsapp number so that I can create a group for the same?

Picture of Shruti Garg
by Shruti Garg - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 10:24 PM

Hey Chirag, 

I am really sorry for replying too late. But I am ready to start the discussion on the criteria for judging Greun. 

So as the WhatsApp Group has been created we can start our discussion there.

Thank you. 

Regards

Shruti Garg. 

Picture of Aastha Aggarwal
by Aastha Aggarwal - Saturday, 11 April 2020, 10:47 PM

Hey Everyone .

Aastha this side .

I am ready aswell to start the discussion and carry the project further .

by UTKARSH RATHORE - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 7:13 PM

Guys please be ready for the meeting at 5:30 p.m. today.

This is me Chirag Gupta
by Chirag Gupta - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 7:44 PM

The meeting will be held here itself right?
Picture of Shruti Garg
by Shruti Garg - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 7:52 PM

Yes, at 5:30.

Picture of Shruti Garg
by Shruti Garg - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 8:08 PM

Hey guys, 

So for JUDGING THE CRITERIA FOR GREEN CITIES.. 

It can judged on the basis of several criterias. So,the on which I have researched are:

• ON THE BASIS OF ITS GENERAL APPEARANCE - 1. The city should be tidy and well-maintained, including public parks and gardens. 2. Projects that have enhanced the streetscape. 3. Restoration of prominent buildings. 

• ON THE BASIS FOR PREVENTION OF WASTE MANAGEMENT - 1. Litter awareness among people. 2. Adequate, accessibility, visible litter and recycling bins in high traffic areas, commercial centres and public areas. 

• ON THE BASIS OF ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY - This can be further judged related to:

WATER- • water minimization practices or devices. For example, automatic shut-off taps on public toilets, etc. 

ENERGY - •Whether the city has innovative strategies focussing on renewable energy use, climate changes issues. 

NATURE CONSERVATION - • weed eradication policies and programmes. • Project addressing salinity and soil erosion. 

This is me Chirag Gupta
by Chirag Gupta - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 8:16 PM

Hi!

I find what you've researched to be pretty interesting. 

But what I think is that the first thing to be discussed should be the criteria which you think are the most important for judging a city. 

So what I think is that all of us should pick out around 2-3 criteria out of our research which may play a major role in judging a city so that a group consensus can be reached easily as per the criteria which are there in a mojirity. What do you people say about this? 

Picture of Shruti Garg
by Shruti Garg - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 8:23 PM

According to which I have researched I think PREVENTION OF WASTE  is the most important. So, this should be the one criteria for judging green cities. 

Picture of Dhruv Bhargava
by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 2:26 AM

Hey Shruti like you suggested that we should classify cities 

•ON THE BASIS OF ITS GENERAL APPEARANCE

It is important that we work out criteria which do not only last as long as our generation lasts but they should last for millennium . Considering how the human population is ever growing it is important that we recognise  the fact that soon we may have to create hydroelectric power sources  capable to harness underground water sources or we may even reach a stage where we have to grow vegetion in a manner which may not be generally visible . Therefore this criteria may go defunct in the coming years . Is there any modification you propose ???

This is me Chirag Gupta
by Chirag Gupta - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 8:07 PM

Hey members!

To start with. I would like to introduce the concept of the Triple bottom line which I found plays a key role in sustainable development. This includes the three P's:

• People, the social equity bottom line. By developing this, we focus on the development of human capital.  
  • Planet, the environmental bottom line, or natural capital bottom line refers to sustainable environmental practices.
  • Profit, the economic bottom line. This profit, however, is not the usual internal profit made by an organisation. The "profit" aspect needs to be seen as the real economic benefit enjoyed by the host society.
Any question is welcome.

Thanks 

by UTKARSH RATHORE - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 8:48 PM

That is a really good concept. I also would like to put forward some objectives for our environment plan:

1) The city should demonstrate a good environmental record and commitment to generating green growth.

2) The city should involve its citizens and develop environmental awareness.

3)The city should be able to act as a 'Green Ambassador' and to encourage other cities to progress towards better sustainability outcomes.

4) The city is committed towards ambitious goals for further environmental improvement and sustainable development.

5)The city should aim to enhance ecological resilience and transform the country into an inclusive green economy. 

This is me Chirag Gupta
by Chirag Gupta - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 8:54 PM

Hi Utkarsh!

The plan you shared was informative.

So what you think exactly should judge the cities? As far as I can make out it is the amount of green cover and a collective effort made by the citizens as well as govt. right?

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 2:47 AM

Great work Utkarsh

This is me Chirag Gupta
by Chirag Gupta - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 8:50 PM

Well, I think all three have there own importance but what I think the most important out of these is the sustainability of natural capital or the second P i.e. planet as this is one of the most desirable objectives by any of the countries. Thus, I would also like to throw some light on the role of circular economy in sustainability.

Any question is welcome.

Thanks.

Picture of Hardik Khanna
by Hardik Khanna - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 9:06 PM

Hi guys

Chirag your ideas are very practical and definitely important in judging a Gruen

I believe that the judging should be done at base level as it will serve a wider purpose in creating a green environment so here are some criteria that i believe are important:

Green Government - I believe co-operation across different levels of government is most essential when it comes to environment . 

This consists of horizontal accords between localities or regions/states along with multi-level frameworks to facilitate cooperation between national, regional, and local governments. For example, some municipal governments often develop joint climate change adaptation plans; others pool their buying power together and negotiate directly with manufacturers of recycling equipment and renewable energy providers.

Likewise, national governments can clearly support cities through improved funding and support of a suite of energy saving, locally administered programs.

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 2:42 AM

Hey Hardik , 

It’s great to envision a green government coming to power , however , considering that there are still many states all across the world which are not completely democratic , how can we implement effective horizontal or vertical power sharing in these states to achieve a greener environment ???

Picture of Aastha Aggarwal
by Aastha Aggarwal - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 8:59 PM

Hey There ,

Since we have been trying to find out some criteria to judge the Green Cities ,, while browsing through internet i found that in 2019 ,,

OSLO {Capital of Norway} , was the European Green Capital . i thought that what better way to start it with .

The main reason why OSLO was the European Green Capital was Oslo's approach to conserving its natural areas and restoring its waterway . It scored the best that is 8 out of the 12 indicators that we have .

·        Oslo’s environmental initiatives are that sustainability goes hand in hand with a better quality of life.

·         One of the city’s goals is, for instance, to reduce the number of cars in the city center as :

1. It cuts down transport emissions,

2. Improves public health by reducing local air pollution.

3. And fewer cars means more open urban spaces that can be filled with activities and green areas.

·        Oslo is among the world’s best when it comes to using green technology. One example is Klemetsrud CHP, a waste-to-energy plant, This enables Oslo to utilize its waste resources efficiently, while reducing fossil fuel consumption.

·        Oslo is also at the head of the pack when it comes to electrification of the transport sector.

·        It is the world’s capital for electric vehicles.

I think that this capital city is definitely a source of Inspiration and also might help us in setting the criteria for judging GRUEN .

Thank you .

Regards,

Aastha .

This is me Chirag Gupta
by Chirag Gupta - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 9:10 PM

Hi Aastha!

The model you've shared is awesome. So the main focus of Oslo was to cut down on the no. of vehicles right?

Can you please also share with us how Oslo was able to succeed in reducing the no. of automobiles?    

Picture of Hardik Khanna
by Hardik Khanna - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 9:15 PM

Another criteria could be-
Blue is the New Green: water  is another important criteria for judging a gruen as water resource issues interact with a wide range of socio-economic and environmental sectors, including health, agriculture, energy, biodiversity, industry and navigation.
This sector is also a particular concern because many cities around the world are already facing significant water stresses, due to competing demands, pollution of surface water sources, and over-exploitation of groundwater sources. 
Climate change is likely to greatly exacerbate this situation, as shrinking glaciers and snowpacks (a primary source of freshwater for many areas) shrink, as rising sea levels lead to salt-water intrusion that contaminates groundwater aquifers, and as more extreme cycles of precipitation and drought make it more difficult for water managers to make planning and investment decisions.

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 2:47 AM

Hey Hardik 

This is a great criteria for developed countries where the tertiary sector is highly developed however in countries in which the primary sector  (which involves heavy water use ) is the major source of income ,  how can we restrict water use for  agriculture or make available better technology for water distribution ?

Picture of Gambali Chaitanya
by Gambali Chaitanya - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 10:00 PM

Hello Astha,

This is Chaitanya from group 40. I read your points about Norway and Oslo and how it cuts down on Transport emissions. However, the green-ness of Norway is in my opinion, not genuine. Norway is only able to achieve these because of a huge sovereign wealth fund.Much of the wealth in this fund comes from the country's oil exports. So essentially, they 'export' their carbon footprint. 

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 2:00 AM

Before judging how much waste a city emits or the amount of pollutants released by the region it is important to classify and engage cities intoisolated spots as only then we can precisely calculate and counter the effects of climate change caused by that region specifically .This does not mean that we do not continue our trade instead it mean that all bulk movement of goods , people and services shall occur through a pre defined mainframe which will enable to follow the ‘reduction addition ‘policy of pollutants . Moreover it is important that cities and regions be classified on the basis on hardware they use for clean tech they . This implies that each sovereign manufacture of goods much ensure that tabs are kept on the material used in manufacturing sources of green energy . This means that it is essential to use renewable resource instead of non renewable resources for the construction of clean energy machines . These are the most achievable yet affordable methods for making our world greener while enabling us to use the current technology for creating clean energy until we find new alternatives .

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 2:00 AM

If any queries feel free to revert back to me 

This is me Chirag Gupta
by Chirag Gupta - Monday, 13 April 2020, 1:22 PM

Hi Dhruv!

The plan you shared was pretty good. However, what I noticed was that you slightly deviated from the topic and emphasised more on how we can achieve sustainability(which was very well explained though). So if you could just tell us more about what helps us judge cities on the basis of how sustainable they are.

Thanks

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 5:23 PM

Calculating the amount of pollutants whether air pollutants soil pollutants or land pollutants exactly with the help of isolated measurements  will not only help us to more effectively counter measure the current climatic changes but it will also help to serve as a criteria for classifying countries on the basis of the pollutants( all types )they release more effectively and efficiently.

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 2:04 AM

I believe that although Norway’s sovereign fund may indicate that it exports its carbon footprint to other countries it is important to realise that many countries with greater funds and greater oil reserves  than Norway have not been able to convince their citizens to use greener automobiles and live a greener life .Therefore Norway’s conviction and dedication to take a cleaner path although they could have used fossil fuels is one which we all should take inspiration from.

by Gambali Chaitanya - Monday, 13 April 2020, 11:53 AM

Hello Dhruv,

As you pointed out, that many other countries have a greater sovereign wealth fund, but may point it out to you that most of these countries are preoccupied with war and social unrest. For those people, surviving is much more of a priority than not polluting the environment. Even if they are not occupied with war, their governments are generally not democratic. For such autocratic governments, oil is a key to their country's economic progress, and they will never care if it damages the environment. USA is an exception here. In spite of being the world's largest producer and a democracy, It still uses hazardous extraction practices like fracking and shale oil processing that are horrible for the environment. So, my point is, that Norway's environment friendliness is a pretence for its crude oil exports, and it is like building hospitals from the money you earned from war.

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 4:52 PM

Gambali it is important to note that the very basis of your reply that countries with greater wealth are preoccupied with war  only applies to certain countries of the Middle  east and hence we can’t generalise this situation for all wealthy countries . Many wealthy countries are peaceful too with higher emission  than Netherlands .

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 2:30 AM

Hey Gambali 

Although teslas are very non polluting cars it is important to note that While electric cars don’t emit exhaust fumes, they do use batteries which do emit toxic fumes at one stage or another .Most electricity used to power electric vehicles is generated from non-renewable energy sources, which can have a negative impact on both our health and the environment. so how can we ensure that the direct and indirect use and manufacture of cars (even electric) does not harm us or the environment .

by Gambali Chaitanya - Monday, 13 April 2020, 11:59 AM

Hello Dhruv, 

You make an excellent point about how polluting Tesla's batteries are. The production of Tesla battery produces carbon emissions equivalent to driving an internal-combustion vehicle for eight years—8.2, to be precise. However, this is true for every item we use. Even the processing of silicon for making solar panels is a toxic process with a huge carbon footprint, but we still use solar panels as they are better. Do you get the point ? By using a battery, we can produce the electricity at a power plant in the presence of good pollution management systems, which will not be possible for internal combustion engines.

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 4:21 PM

Gambali I do agree about you point about the difference in the quantity of emissions release by traditional vehicles vs electric vehicles , however it is important to note that although fossil fuel emissions can’t kill a person a person in an hour electric fumes can , this implies that electric fumes are more dangerous as they harm us more and even have longer term ill effects on our health , so it is imp to find more efficient and harmless fuels and electric is not the most appropriate solution .

Do you agree ???

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 2:39 AM

Hey Astha great observations we will surely incorporate some of these :) :) :)

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 2:37 AM

Hey Chirag how do we plan to Implement this idealistic situation on countries in which people dont care care about others , the planet , or even profit as long as they can get a square meal or sleep with a full stomach ?.

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 2:50 AM

Everybody please be present for the meeting tomorrow .

If anyone has any queries regarding the criteria proposed by any of the team members please feel free to ask 

This is me Chirag Gupta
by Chirag Gupta - Monday, 13 April 2020, 1:51 PM

Hi Dhruv!

Sustainable development and poverty eradication go hand in hand. This means that as we move towards sustainable development, we move a step towards the very goal of poverty reduction. In fact, The SDG(Sustainable Development Goal) no. 1 is 'End poverty in all its forms everywhere'. Also, as per the Triple Bottom line, The first P, that is, People, social equity, or human capital bottom line pertains to fair and beneficial business practices toward labour and the community and region in which a corporation conducts its business. 

Develop and implement rapid and sustained economic growth policies and programs, in areas such as health, education, nutrition and sanitation, allowing the poor to participate and contribute to the growth, is a way to reduce poverty. Studies show that a 10% increase in a country’s average income reduces poverty by as much as 20-30 %.

Thanks

by Dhruv Bhargava - Monday, 13 April 2020, 5:18 PM

Hi Chirag considering that the current pricing of clean energy machines is way higher than machines which use conventional sources of energy don’t you think that as and when (in today’s world )we increase our reliance on clean energy resources the gap between the rich and poor will increase ???

This is me Chirag Gupta
by Chirag Gupta - Monday, 13 April 2020, 7:57 PM

Hi Dhruv!

See sustainable development is complex. It not only includes the natural aspect, but also the human factor and HRD(Human Resource Development). So apart from making the environment cleaner and greener, it is equally important to make the people well educated and healthy. Also, as I mentioned earlier as well, SDG 1 is poverty eradication. This itself is enough to tell how important it actually is to make first the people an asset and then the environment.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

by Dhruv Bhargava - Tuesday, 14 April 2020, 1:18 AM

Hi Chirag 

Hi Chirag like you Re-emphasised that first we need to develop the human capital and then we need to work towards environment change mitigation however ,don’t you think that humans as a species have been trying long enough improve their qualities and improve the way they live and the increase the no resources which we can convert into more useful substances . after all this we have still only lead to more and more environmental degradation and as we already seen developing humans is a very slow process and it might be too late by the time we develop them fully .our first aim should be to tackle climate change . Moreover,Humans have caused major climate changes to happen already, and we have set in motion more changes still. Even if we stopped emitting greenhouse gases today, global warming would continue to happen for at least several more decades, if not centuries. That’s because it takes a while for the planet (for example, the oceans) to respond, and because carbon dioxide – the predominant heat-trapping gas – lingers in the atmosphere for hundreds of years. There is a time lag between what we do and when we feel it.

In the absence of major action to reduce emissions, global temperature is on track to rise by an average of 6 °C (10.8 °F), according to the latest estimates. Some scientists argue a “global disaster” is already unfolding at the poles of the planet; the Arctic, for example, may be ice-free at the end of the summer melt season within just a few years. Yet other experts are concerned about Earth passing one or more “tipping points” – abrupt, perhaps irreversible changes that tip our climate into a new state.

by Dhruv Bhargava - Friday, 17 April 2020, 12:46 AM

Hey guys let’s get serious again about submitting our final criteria . So the 3 criteria which we had finalised in the conference were 

1.   classifying cities using measurements from isolated spots (proposed by Dhruv Bhargava)

2.   Triple p formula ( Chirag )

3.    Green government (Hardik ) 

Please inform if any additions are to be made .. will incorporate them too 

by Dhruv Bhargava - Friday, 17 April 2020, 1:18 AM

I have renamed my criteria ( the first one ) as IMCC

WILL SHARE INFO PLS SHARE SO FOR THE OTHER TWO CRITERIA TOO 

by Dhruv Bhargava - Friday, 17 April 2020, 1:25 AM

1. IMCC CRITERIA 

The first criteria which our team would like to propose is the IMCC criteria ,this criteria stands for Isolated Measurement Comparison Criteria that  aims to effectively calculate the emissions of pollutants of all types by a region specifically so as to increase the response time and precisely counter the climatic changes . This  will enable us to exactly know how many pollutants are released from one region and how many pollutants are coming into that region from another area . by using this criteria  cities etc can be properly evaluated and hence Get the appropriate response which is required .this criteria will make environment change policies more effective and reasonable .One possible way to implement this policy is to ensure that along the borders of each region monitoring stations are placed to check the Outflow of Pollutants from One area to another area and the inflow of pollutants from other areas too .this will help to arrange the various cities and states of the world  according to the pollution they release and the pollution which is present in them pertaining to their isolated measuring environments so that we can effectively tackle the situation more reasonably and in time. 

Picture of Ojas Jetley
by Ojas Jetley - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 12:27 AM

Hi everyone

I would like you to consider the following points too:

1: One of the key factor of green  urban development is Urban Mobility.  If cities have a common medium for urban mobility (mass transportation system) then most of the people would start using that and the number of  vehicles on the road would decrease further leading to the decrease in both air and noise pollution. This would not only decrease pollution but save fuel for our future generations leading to sustainable development.

2: My second recommendations to judge would be to see if the city is using any Renewable sources of energy . Renewable energy is the energy that is collected from renewable resources like sunlight ,wind or geothermal heat. It provides us energy in important areas like electricity generation ,water heating , transportation and many more . The use of these resources would help to preserve our exhaustable resources.

Picture of Nishita Beri
by Nishita Beri - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 5:03 PM

Hi everyone,

extremely sorry for this very late response.

I would like you to consider the following points too:

Health care facilities:

Rapid, uncontrolled urbanisation strains many aspects of city life that determine health. Traffic, factories, generators and construction poison the air, meanwhile water supplies can become contaminated, poor housing harms the health of children, and food supply and quality can be compromised that will directly affect the health of the residents. So each curry should have the best health care facilities to provide all sorts of treatments required by the residents at any time. The health care facilities of a city should have well equipped and qualified doctors and nurses to looks after the people. A city without proper health care facility would ultimately see the people getting ill and further spreading the disease, causing a decrease in the economy, population etc.

Urban planning:

It is a valuable force for city leaders to achieve sustainable development. It is a means to bring about a difference; Planning helps make the most out of municipal budgets by informing infrastructure and services investments, balancing demands for growth with the need to protect the environment. Good urban design can offer significant benefits to the community; conversely, poor design can have significant adverse effects on the urban environment, society and economy. The benefits of having urban planning done for a city are listed below:

* While good urban design sometimes costs more upfront, this is not necessarily the case; moreover, long-term costs can be avoided.

* Communities value the better quality of life that good urban design can deliver.

* Urban design can affect people's ability and willingness to undertake physical exercise: good design can offer health benefits.

* Urban design can help make towns and cities safer and more secure.

* Urban design elements are interconnected: urban design is most effective when several elements come together (eg, mixed-use, density and connectivity).

* Furthermore it also helps in a recent situation like a pandemic

Picture of Ojas Jetley
by Ojas Jetley - Friday, 24 April 2020, 6:57 PM

Picture of Ojas Jetley
by Ojas Jetley - Friday, 24 April 2020, 6:58 PM

Picture of Nishita Beri
by Nishita Beri - Saturday, 25 April 2020, 5:09 PM

Picture of Nishita Beri