Propose YOUR criteria for judging a GRUEN

Group 29

Picture of Abhyudit Singh
Group 29
by Abhyudit Singh - Tuesday, 7 April 2020, 4:25 PM

Propose your suggestions here.

Group 29 criteria discussion

Paragraph #3 because I don't like 3 paragraphs. 

by Abhyudit Singh - Sunday, 12 April 2020, 3:05 PM

Here's 3 criteria i think are useful in assessing a green urban city-

• Waste Management

• Nature and Biodiversity (I think this can include air and water quality.)
  • Citizens' Opinion (A survey in which people are asked whether they think their city is green or not. This is very common and I got the idea from a programme in my own country, where it has 30% weightage for citizens' opinion.)

Now, there are a lot of other areas which I think are pretty important (like average annual temperature difference and infrastructure), but since we had to pick 2 or 3, I picked the ones I think are the most important.

Picture of Muskan Singroha
Re: ‏
by Muskan Singroha - Friday, 17 April 2020, 3:27 PM

I strongly agree with these topics.

I future suggest one more topic that is RAIN WATER HARVESTING or WATER CONSERVATION in areas.

As it is the hot topic across the globe.

Picture of Arnav Khandelwal
by Arnav Khandelwal - Friday, 17 April 2020, 4:51 PM

Although it is tough to decide on only three criteria for evaluating a green urban city, some important criteria that I think outweigh others by a thin margin are:-

• Person to Tree Ratio: I think this is an important criterion that is often overlooked by most people. The main concept of this is to find the number of trees available in the city for every person by dividing the total number of trees by the population of the city. This helps to calculate the amount of oxygen available for each person in the city and determine the condition of the city in terms of greenery.
  • Air and Water Quality: Air and water are crucial for human survival and thus their quality qualifies as an important aspect to evaluate a green urban city in my opinion.
  • Waste Management: All over the world many people live in slums where the waste management is so poor that people living in societies and civilized colonies can not even fathom the unhygienic conditions they might be living in. Ergo waste management is an essential facet of evaluating a green urban city.

Other criteria that are equally important to evaluate a Green Urban City are Nature and Biodiversity, Noise levels around hospitals and schools, Green Growth and Eco-innovation and Climate Change

Picture of Utkarsh Srivastav
by Utkarsh Srivastav - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 6:38 PM

Although it is quite challenging to determine just 3 critera for judging a green city, but I think these three criterias essntial for judging a green city 

1) Person to tree ratio: I think this is an important criterion that is often overlooked by most people. The main concept of this is to find the number of trees available in the city for every person by dividing the total number of trees by the population of the city. This helps to calculate the amount of oxygen available for each person in the city and determine the condition of the city in terms of greenery.

2)Dependency on Fossil Fuels: This is an inevitable fact that some day our fossil fuels will run out and we all have to turn to alternative source like hydrogen. The above stated fact is also limited by natural factors such as soil fertility and land area. Using alternative fuels which give out zero emission suffices our demand and also gives the time to replenish our natural resources

3)Waste ManagementAll over the world many people live in slums where the waste management is so poor that people living in societies and civilized colonies can not even fathom the unhygienic conditions they might be living in. Ergo waste management is an essential facet of evaluating a green urban cities

Picture of Navya Verma
by Navya Verma - Friday, 1 May 2020, 6:31 PM

I agree with the above mentioned points. 

And want to add some more points :

AIR POLLUTION- India generate 62.8% electricity by coal and lignite which create a lot of pollution and coal is a nonrenewable source of energy as well. Therefore, we should establish more hydel power plants. 

Picture of Ishit Kumar
by Ishit Kumar - Friday, 17 April 2020, 10:03 PM

Yes, I am 100% satisfied with all of your ideas . The thing that I want to add on is that it will be a helpful if we get the support from the government in making a green city. They can help by making some strict rules against the bad practices like deforestation and honor killing of animals. yes I know that rules are already there for these but still it is being practiced. So what they can do is they can hire the jobless people in this initiative to keep a check on these activities in their locality , in this way the problem of unemployment can also be reduced.   

Picture of Ishit Kumar
by Ishit Kumar - Friday, 1 May 2020, 9:01 PM

Yes, I am 100% satisfied with all of your ideas . The thing that I want to add on is that it will be a helpful if we get the support from the government in making a green city. They can help by making some strict rules against the bad practices like deforestation and honor killing of animals. yes I know that rules are already there for these but still it is being practiced. So what they can do is they can hire the jobless people in this initiative to keep a check on these activities in their locality , in this way the problem of unemployment can also be reduced.   

by Arnav Khandelwal - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 8:28 PM

As everybody has posted their thoughts on the criteria they think are important. I think we should move on to the next part of the project. 

Utkarsh Srivastav, please contact me on my Gmail arnav18112004@gmail.com, so that we can start working on the project together! as you are in my pair group.

by Utkarsh Srivastav - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 8:32 PM

ok let's start

by Abhyudit Singh - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 11:44 PM

There can be upto 4 people in a "pair" group. I'll be joining yours.

by Abhyudit Singh - Saturday, 18 April 2020, 11:43 PM

I think we should go with these -

1. Waste Management
  2. Air and Water Quality
  3. Vegetation
I went with these 3 because these were most accepted in our group.

Re:
by Arnav Khandelwal - Sunday, 19 April 2020, 10:53 AM

Ok, Abhyudit! Sure! 

(@_@)
by Abhyudit Singh - Monday, 20 April 2020, 12:44 AM

Although I said that, Arnav and Utkarsh, with whom I was working, chose these four-

1) Person to tree ratio

2) Dependency on fossil fuels

3) Solar power

4) Waste management

Re: (@_@)
by Utkarsh Srivastav - Tuesday, 21 April 2020, 10:31 AM

I would like to thank both of my companions for their hardwork and the amount of work they've put in to determine 3 essential criteria for evaluating a green city. 

Looking forward to working with you again

by Muskan Singroha - Friday, 1 May 2020, 7:29 PM

:)

Picture of Ishit Kumar
by Ishit Kumar - Friday, 1 May 2020, 10:39 PM

So are we :)

Re: Group 29
by Muskan Singroha - Friday, 1 May 2020, 7:39 PM

I strongly agree with these topics.

I future suggest one more topic that is RAIN WATER HARVESTING or WATER CONSERVATION in areas.

As it is the hot topic across the globe.

Picture of Navya Verma
by Navya Verma - Wednesday, 13 May 2020, 6:58 PM

Community behavioral changes is also an important topic which is already included in our green city.
by Muskan Singroha - Sunday, 17 May 2020, 1:39 PM

Also I suggest some laws for the governance of city:

Laws that govern and maintain the greenery of the city:

Environment protection laws

Laws to govern the development activities where any part of Forest is compromised : Compensatory Afforestation Act

Laws to govern the education system of the city to keep education and overall growth if children in sync.

Apart from the laws I would also suggest 

Measures taken to reduce a city's temperature due to rising global warming 

Also how the city can contribute its bit in balancing the regional climate by holistic development which is in consonance with the laws of nature.

Regulations regarding dams and Rivers (if any) to pose minimum damage to the nature and fetch sustainable benefits out of these resources and infrastructures.

Picture of Navya Verma
by Navya Verma - Sunday, 14 June 2020, 6:32 PM

I would like to include the following topic in maintenance of greenery:

Environment friendly concrete

Every 1000 kilograms of cement results in 900 kilograms of CO2.

By substituting some of the cement in the concrete mix with the waste product fly ash , recycled glass and more will reduce carbon footprint upto 25%.This is called environment friendly concrete.

This type of concrete has high durability, the cost  of production is quite  low and  has less consumption of energy as compared to regular cement.